Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

185kw engines

VPS2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive S2
ok im looking at this car and he says it has a 185kw engine but it doesnt have the 185 engine covers i think is there anything else i can look for on the engine or anything like that to see if it is a real 185

cheers

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
The only difference between the 165 and the 185 was the tune and exhaust, wasn't it? I think you'll be wanting an aftermarket tune once you buy the car anyway, so it doesn't matter which engine you start with :)

The only way to tell MIGHT be with the engine number. Or maybe the code on the vin plate? Hmmm...

VPS2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive S2
so if i look at the vin number which is located in the engine bay(correct if wrong) do i need to match them up with the engine number or something else

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
It will have the hsv memcal and the VN style headers, that's it dunno what car your looking at but all VP-VS's are like that. VN's both have VN headers obviously :) It doesn't matter if it's the 185 pack or not as everyone has said it's no different. So worry about the condition of the engine first and foremost

VPS2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive S2
ok but what needs to match up so i know its a 185 cos the engines in a executive

FusionX

Reaction score
Look for a knock sensor screwed into the side of the motor. About 3/4 back, just above the sump, usually on drivers side.... Thats usually the way I pick it when someone says they are running a 185kw motor/tune.

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
Its probably just a stock motor, not a 185.

As has already been said, they only got that rating with bolt on stuff, stuff that given aftermarket, would give higher number (ie, a full twin system exhaust, instead of the still very restrictive stock system)

VPS2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive S2
ok so a normal 5ltr doesnt have a knock sensor does it if they do is the hsv knock sensor differant as in bigger or differant colour, or if normal 5ltrs dont come with them and the one im looking at has one then its a 185 or atleast a 185 tune

VPS2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive S2
sorry guys still learning