Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

19" or 20" on a VY

daniel555

Custom VY Commodore
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive S2
Ok, So my uncle is a tyre fitter and does all the wheels stuff. He told me, No use getting 20"s on stock suspension unless you get coil over springs and what not, He said putting 20"s on a VY is a big waste of money, He said rolling the gaurds would just make the paint crack if not now, but later along the track and camber kit you'd just go through tyres way to quick.
So i went to the tyre factory and looking at some wheels, found some and asked what size they where as i was unsure and the bloke said 20"s. To cut a long story short he said 20"s will fit, and maybe need to roll the gaurds.
So im really unsure on what size rim to get, 19"s are fine by me, but i'd prefer 20"s if they where no trouble. lol. Anyway help would be appreciated. Thanks.

H1GHROLLR

CHEMICALLY SUPERCHARGED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX CLUBSPORT R8 LS1
only thing with 19's is tyres are more exspensive and heaps harder to find

VY.abercrombie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S soon to be SS
most annouying thing about trying to find 19"s is alot of designs are in 18"s, 20"s and skip 19"s . but ide also go for 19"s as they still look realy nice and are les trouble.

daniel555

Custom VY Commodore
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive S2
Yeah, Thats what i was exactly thinking. Go 19's for less worry. Yeah, I know whatcha mean about 18-20's, Every rim ive looked at that i like either come in 18-20-22 or 20-22-24, lol.

Anyways, Ill keep looking, Thanks for the help.

Calais1987

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais Turbo S2, VX Calais S2, WH Statesman LS8
I got 20's on my WH statesman, and yer you do lose some of the comfort (ride),its depends on the tyre as well (hard/ soft compound)

VjamesY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY executive
their are so many different views, some swear by 19's, some swear by 20's.

personally i think you should go all out with the 20's, it might cost more but will be worth it in the end.

19's get boring after a while, you will regret getting them because your always thinking, hmmm i should have gone an inch more, or these rims do look to small (19's do look small on vy's)

i know from personal experience, i was sold some 19 inch advanti viennas of a family friend for cheap, spent 800 on tyres, and now i honestly think they look to small on my car, and im always questioning myself why i didnt go that further step ( or inch should i say).

just do it, go the 20's, it will all be worth it in the end

cheers james

daniel555

Custom VY Commodore
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive S2
So you think roll the gaurds? get 20's? Or over coil suspension? I know over coil suspension will cost around $1500-2000 alone. plus wheels and tyres, thats another $2500.
So confusing, lol. If only i could just slap the 20's on and not worry about anything.

Anyone had there gaurds rolled? and what are the chances of paint cracking and stuff being messed up?

Fishman88

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz calais 190KW A5 CHE TUNED
I would go 19" just the rite size imo not too much hasssle prob just guard rollin if ur gettin wide ones like mine 19x9.5 rear not too much comfort is loss too. Wit guard rollin i fink no1 gauruntees paint wont crack i could be wrong but GOODLUCK!!