Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

19" Rims rubbing on inner(shock absorber) guard

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive Series 2
Hi Guys,

I have a problem with my stock Holden Commodore VY Executive S2 2004. 2 years ago I put 19 x 8.5" rims (245/35/19) on the car with no problem. But now the inner of the front drivers side tyre is worn and has fomed a small flat spot and worn to the canvas. When I took off the drivers side wheel I noticed that the shock absorber guard (if thats what its called) had been polished by the tyre and is the cause of the wear. A strange thing is, the front passengers side tyre is worn on the outside and also no longer road worthy. They are both Maxxis from Bob Jane.
80% of the time im the only one in the car drving the commute to work.
The car is fully stock, so im guessing it might be the shocks being compressed with the rasing of the car after goin from 15" to 19" and it just keeps getting worse, but I never heard of that problem before.
The wheels are 8.5" wide. Is this too wide for a VY?
Can I use spacers to get the tyre away from the inner gaurd? I would need 35mm, but this could prove a problem with the outter gaurd.
I have been told that 19" is too big for a VY. I understand that legally you can oly go up by 2" from the stock wheel size. VY Executive S2 is stock with 15" but the VY SS came stock with 16" so i should be able to go to 18", but I dont want to get rid of the nice rims I have.
Can someone help me?

Last edited:

old mate

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VB Sedan / GU Patrol
1. what is your rim offset?

2. is the suspension stock?

3. wheel size will not affect how much the shocks are compressed as it is 'unsprung weight'

4. how did you figure out you need 35mm spacers? that is quite large.

5. 8 inch wide should fit fine under VY's. the ss wheels and hsv were all around 8 inch and obviously had no issues.

6. VY SS came with 17 x 8 rims in +48 offset.

7. have you got pictures of the rubbing on the front shock and the irregular tyre wear?

colgf

Reaction score
Members Ride
s/charged v6 HR Holden, s/charged v6 EH Holden,
"Old Mate" is right - theres a lot of variables to deal with , you should have done more homework , sounds like your wheel alignment (camber ) is way out left to right sides too, if inside of one tyre & outside of other tyre are worn , have you changed your struts at all - not done an alignment after the change? I wouldnt go any bigger than 18s on a VY anyway. Sell them & buy 18s , & get a wheel alignment & front end check.

Phillthy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Cross 8 Crewman
Buy a set of spacers and put them in between the rim and rotor. Worked for me.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive Series 2
@ old mate
1. Offset +45
2. Suspension is stock
4. 35mm is the approx. measruement I would need to get the tyre away from the inner guard
7. picture will be posted asap.

Just to note: the width of a 245/35/19 tyre is approx 9".

Thanks for the input old mate.

Last edited:

Surfwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
AMG Mercedes C63 Wagon
I have the same rim, offset and tyre size with no rubbing on suspension in my VZ senator, only slightly at full lock on the plastic guard liner.
If your drivers tyre is balding on the inner corner and your passenger tyre is balding on the outer corner sounds like your camber settins are all wrong.
Some aftermarket shock/strut spring seats will foul a 245/35 tyre.
245/35 will fit fine with std or Monroe brand strut housings
I tried some adjustable AGX shocks and the spring seats fouled the tyres, so now have Koni's fitted inside Monroe Gas strut housings
Take your car to a proper wheel alighner, one that is prepared to remove the wheels to adjust the camber settings properly.
Most tyre shops just do what is commonly referred to in the industry as "a toe and go", that is they make sure the wheels a running true with the correct toe angle at the straight ahead and takes no account for camber or castor.

M01ST

Reaction score
Members Ride
15 VF SSV Redline, 02 VU SS Ute
Get someone to sit in your car and turn your steering wheel, while you place your hand on top of the strut tower. If it makes any weird noises, grinding, clicking or just plainly sounds sh!tf&*ked. Your strut tower bearing have most likely collapsed. This happened on my Vs and caused what you have described. Btw im running 19s same size as yours and mines fine even after i lowered it

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
If you do buy spacers, ensure you buy hubcentric bolt ons, not slip ons. Slip ons maybe if only a few mm but really they are not safe from my experience.