Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

190kw Alloytec vs ?kw Ecotec

P

puv berlina

Recently posted regarding the presence of oil in the coolant in the Berlina. Was confident it was only the intake gasket, but pulled the heads to be sure. (I wouldn't have wanted to be near me if it still pushed oil into the coolant after reassembly). The heads appear to be fine, but will get them checked anyway. I then started to wonder about the merits of a few mods while it was apart, eg,mild port job, cam, headers and maybe throttle body and injectors.

Of course, like all good thinking, a can or four of Scotch was included, and I got to wondering if an Alloytec at $2k wouldn't be a better option. Have made enquiries of the wreckers in Qld that sells on Ebay and these low k motors are apparently complete with everything needed. Except that the trans in his opinion will need to be changed at an extra $800. I was under the impression the 4sp auto was a carry over from the VY, and the same as VT. Wrong?

Anyhow, I'm trying to make a bang for ya buck judgement here. The budget isn't unlimited, (If it was, would I be driving a VT 3.8?), but $2k to $3k would cover either option providing nothing unforseen crops up.

What problems am I likely to encounter with fitting the Alloytec, has anyone done it, and which way would you go? What power could I reasonably expect from a Natmo 3.8 with the above mods?

Thanks people, cheers, Phil.

MikesVT

M&M =D
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing :'(
As for ya title there, I think the ecotech was 152kw. That's what it says in my owners manual anyways.

-Michael-

Ooh Yeah.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S Pack
I thought it was 147? -Shrugs-

Full Spectrum

Bro it's a VW your Audi!
Reaction score
Website
www.news.com.au
Members Ride
Berlina V6
For VT yes..

There was a guy that was doing an alloytec conversion on his VL i think. Out of the blue he called it off and went for the L67 and sold it. So what happen i don't know. But when i asked around about it for myself i got laughed at with the VP. I guess this backyard guy was good at what he wasn't employed to do:D.

Holdens Rule

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais V6
The thought has gone through my mind about this also but my plan is to buy a wreck from the auctions that still has a decent motor and trans in it. I thought that way I could take everything I needed to do the conversion including the wiring and maybe changing the dash over as well and then selling the rest of the car as parts. Would make a cheaper conversion.

Cursed CX8

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Adventra
How much are low kay ecotecs going for these days?

what about brand new ones?

$2500 for a HM gem engine, they dont last more than about 150,000kms usually. I paid about $600 for a wreckers engine with 80,000kms on it