Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

190kW VZ Wagon - Do they exist?

monkeys437

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato l67
Question for the VZ owners out there.

I'm starting to research for my next car since I've had my VS statesman for nearly 6 years and it's nearing on 300k.

I want a low ks Wagon and either VZ or VY are just getting into that bargain price where I can pay cash and not have to get full insurance :)
I've been researching the VZ range but I can't see any models with the high output 190kW in the wagon, only Sedans and the Adventra. I've checked car sales and Redbook and every wagon I've came across is the base model engine.

Does anyone know if any VZ wagon came out with the 190kW engine, and if so which models?

Thanks for any advice

franklinfrog

Reaction score
Website
www.cheapbrisbanebikes.com
Members Ride
VY SS Wagon 5.7 Auto Wikid Postie Bike
190 only came in the sedan and ute and maybe adeventra you say. I know, what a joke hey. Ridiculous. Not even the SVZ wagon!!!!

So just stick it to them and buy an SS wagon. I did, best thing I've ever done. It's packed with features and prices are pretty low at the moment. The 5.7L LS1 is legendary, it was in the V8 from VT all the way to VZ so parts are everywhere and cheap. It looks good, goes hard and I can fit anything in the back. I average 10.4L (avg 80km/h) on freeway and about 13.5 (avg 40km/h) around town. I can easily get it up to 16-17 though and that means I'm havin a good time. It's faultless, I don't know why anyone would ever buy a sedan, may as well get a motorbike.

monkeys437

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato l67
Poor form Holden... Oh well at least I know not to waste my time looking.
I've thought about going the V8 option. The downside is there are less to choose from, but the ones I saw for sale weren't really more expensive than the V6. I think V8's are getting hard to sell these days with the perception they are thirstier than they really are.

What fuel do you use to get that economy? My current VS needs 98RON so I was hoping my next car could run fine on E10 or 91 octane.

franklinfrog

Reaction score
Website
www.cheapbrisbanebikes.com
Members Ride
VY SS Wagon 5.7 Auto Wikid Postie Bike
I use 91 with ethanol mostly and I notice no difference in economy or performance when I put a tank of better stuff through. Economy is mostly affected by driving style and amount of traffic lights, so don't do it if you're in stop start traffic for hours every day averaging 20km/h, you'll hit 15 or 16 L/100 easily. There's plenty of room to bargain on advertised prices as people are struggling to sell. I've been monitoring VY SS wagon prices and 6 months ago, nothing on carsales was under $16k. Now they pop up every now and then for $10k.

You get leather seats, limited slip diff, traction control, power windows front and rear, full body kit, fog lights, 17" alloys, nice dash, 6 disc cd player etc etc. Mine is stock standard and it's the perfect car. Leather seats are worth it alone. But consider insurance and rego depending on your age.

You can also get Berlina wagons with the V8 for a lot less, but they are rare and don't have the features above.

We went through this a while back....
http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/vy-holden-commodore-2002-2004/216329-v6-v8-engine-swap-buy-v8.html