Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

1954 FJ IRS 4 wheel discs HR front end engine choice unknown

Mitchamus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II Calais 5 Litre
Hey guys,

Got this on the boil. my fater pick it up in 1983-84 and stopped working on it when my mother got pregnant with my brother. its handed to me to finish as my father is ill now.

Its a 1954 FJ holden
no interior
glass is there
all panels and chrome work is there

it has a rod hadfield chassis
SBC engine mounts
No trans tunnel
HR rack and pinion disc front end
Jaguar IRS disc rear end

My father and I joked about it when i was 14 that we should put a BMW V12 into it. Looking at the going prices for a whole car regoed (750 or 760) its actually a viable option. I can find a used 7 series for about 4-6K in decent running order or import a later model with lower kays from japan as parts for a bit more.

The engine i think will fit as seeing the car was a straight 6 and they can have v8s as ive seen. The v12 i have seen fitted to E30 BMW coupes so i dont think its a massive engine.

Thinking of manual but to go manual i need to find a 8 series that was optioned as a manual and they are bullshit expensive or use a non BMW box and adapt the **** out of it.

REGO....... hmmmmmm i was thinking club reg but what can i get away with using club reg if i went the v12 route.
i know at one point i will need an engineers report.

with going club reg i think i can get away with running cats but also using carbs?!?!?!?, id prefer the least amount of elecs, as we all know old BMWs and electrics can be a pain in the ass.

If its a big #### around my second option is 304/355 5 speed using a full donor car.

So yeah these are my ideas just looking to share so i can get some insight into anyone who has done a similar big engine engineered build of some sort. This will be a looooooooooooong build but i want to start the ball rolling into research parts acquiring soon.

will post pics when i can but she aint nothing to look at honestly, looks like a rolling unpainted shell, LOL

pjdm1980

Shut up Jr I'm thinkin!
Reaction score
Members Ride
E1 GTS BUILD NO# 007, GQ Patrol.
If your looking at using a bit of a odd ball engine maybe use a 4.0ltr Toyota V8. I'd stick with Aussie or American muscle though.

PJDM1980

showbags

SENIOR EL'BAGO
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais, BMW 135 m sport
Dura tec 6.6ltr diesel FTW.

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
your answer is hidden inbetween the lines.

Agreed, it's a bit of a no brainer really. If you have the choice between Holden V8 and SBC, go Chev you'll never look back.

Also, ditch the Jag rear end, it's very outdated IMO. I'd go standard live axle long before i'd use a Jag rear end.

Aussie V8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC SL/E 308/T350. 1989 FJ75 Toyota Troopcarrier
Agreed, it's a bit of a no brainer really. If you have the choice between Holden V8 and SBC, go Chev you'll never look back.

Also, ditch the Jag rear end, it's very outdated IMO. I'd go standard live axle long before i'd use a Jag rear end.
I'd actually keep it Holden even though the SBC fits a bit better.

V6 conversions does an independent rear conversion also (using Commodore IRS setup).
If you could legally fit it the best outcome would be a straight running gear swap from a VT-VZ V8 (or V6 if you were worried about engineering approvals) using engineer recognised kits.

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
Meh, if you're after power for dollar value, you'd be crazy not to use a Chev (especially with the way the Aus $ is at the moment), unless you want to be just another sheep and fit an LS1.

Having said that, everyone is entitled to their opinion of coarse.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Meh, if you're after power for dollar value, you'd be crazy not to use a Chev (especially with the way the Aus $ is at the moment), unless you want to be just another sheep and fit an LS1.

Having said that, everyone is entitled to their opinion of coarse.

Yeah he may be a sheep but I'd love something old with a modern drivetrain/suspension/brake setup under it. An old humpy would fit the bill perfectly :). Sooo - how's that UC dash conversion going?

Reaper

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah he may be a sheep but I'd love something old with a modern drivetrain/suspension/brake setup under it. An old humpy would fit the bill perfectly :). Sooo - how's that UC dash conversion going?

Reaper

Touch'e. There is nothing stopping him having a modern driveline (gearbox, diff, brakes etc.) but with an old school engine (Chev or Holden) though.

Dash conversion is going great, i converted the UC dash into scrap metal. So all in all, a success really. :p