Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

1960 Split Window Kombi

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Finished yet?

kiwicon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 Manual
lol, never been a real fan of a different make engine transplant,

surely you could bend the rules for a hayabusa engine.

915751.jpg

VRSenator065

Now in stealth mode
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Senator LSx454
was looking at some rust panel prices. just the front floor and wheel arch stuff alone is like 2g's (if you buy it here).

Don't know where your looking buddy, I have had this project in the back of my mind for a couple of years now and snooping around and there are a few options for panels. Panel prices I think are actually pretty good, and as I am not going for concours even if I have to fold some internal stuff up out of flat sheet its no drama and cheap as chips. These cars can be worth a bit when done, I am only in the hole $500 so far, so plenty of scope. I will lash out and buy a whole complete front panel assembly though which will be a chunk of cash.

But to give you an idea these are floor panels, and in Aussie dollars, not too bad I think

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
Don't know where your looking buddy, I have had this project in the back of my mind for a couple of years now and snooping around and there are a few options for panels. Panel prices I think are actually pretty good, and as I am not going for concours even if I have to fold some internal stuff up out of flat sheet its no drama and cheap as chips. These cars can be worth a bit when done, I am only in the hole $500 so far, so plenty of scope. I will lash out and buy a whole complete front panel assembly though which will be a chunk of cash.

But to give you an idea these are floor panels, and in Aussie dollars, not too bad I think

i guess if you going to fab some of the more expensive replacement stuff it wont be that bad. i was assuming your going to replace the half chopped wheel arch housings and do full outer arches... 48 dollar floor pan is almost giving it away....

wheel arching housing
Wheelhousing Front Left >67, Floor Repair

full outer arch
Front Wheel Arch, Complete - Right 50-62, Side Panels

Demonica

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS clubsport
I'm so looking forward to this build Sen and seeing your own personal touch to it (even if it is ages away till you start it) :)

VRSenator065

Now in stealth mode
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Senator LSx454
i guess if you going to fab some of the more expensive replacement stuff it wont be that bad. i was assuming your going to replace the half chopped wheel arch housings and do full outer arches... 48 dollar floor pan is almost giving it away....

wheel arching housing
Wheelhousing Front Left >67, Floor Repair

full outer arch
Front Wheel Arch, Complete - Right 50-62, Side Panels

Aah, gotcha, no worries, all good. Well really budget has to be $20k give or take to do it how I want it, I reckon I could spend $5k maybe a bit more on panels and still keep within that. I wouldn't have taken it on if I didn't know what i was in for But for $20+k I should end up with a pretty sweet ride :)

skappascrap

Herp is for the derp.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'02 VY SV8
The place that I was certain of that does the old beetle panels is Unique Fabrication in Pooraka, so check them out if you like :)
Don't forget of that sheet metal shop either :p

VRSenator065

Now in stealth mode
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Senator LSx454
Picked up the Splitty today, **** of a day, rainy as but hey I really wanted to get it home :) Really happy getting a chance to get a really close look at it, I know it looks bad but for 53 years old, she is looking pretty sound. whats there is still rock solid, obviously the front is toast but they are available as a complete unit nowadays. Tomorrow will get it into the container, then sit on it for a while. Woo hoo, we own a Splitty!!

Last edited: