Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

1965 HD Holden 355 stroker

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
Hi mate, thanks for the compliments.

Yes, i did the steering conversion with the CRS front mount rack kit. I have only tried to use the rear mount rack once and there wasn't enough room for a standard HQ sump, you would need to cut heaps out of the sump to get the rack in. So, from then on i've stuck with the front mount rack which works quiet fine but you lose a bit of steering lock over the steering box, but it's hardly noticeable. Also has a 3/4 chassis kit, which really strengthens the car up no end.

With the exhaust, yes you get heaps better clearance with the pipes out the guards. The problems with going down through the rails is that the pipes really hug the starter motor and the block & sump, the starter is a bastard to get in and out that way, but out through the guards it just bolts straight in. IMO, out through the guards is definately the way to go on an early Holden.

For brakes, it's running VN V8 front calipers and rotors (CRS conversion kit) and VN rear discs & calipers on a shortened VN Borg Warner diff (cut & shortened by me) with a modified Gemini booster and XB Falcon master on the firewall. I've used this set up quiet a few times on early Holdens and it works very well. The booster & master is a bit of messing around to fit but it's definately worth the effort.

Make no mistake, it's a lot of work in an early Holden to fit a V8 properly, it's not a 5 minute job.

I've got some pics of a few other early Holdens with various engines in them but i don't have them here, but i can get them if you're interested. (i won't post them in this thread though, i think I've clogged it up enough as it is).

dk4400

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE SV6 UTE
Yes more pics would be great :) I have my HR on here as well you can post them on there if you like, the diff is the next thing on my list of things to do, is shortening a VN diff something someone like myself who is ok with the spanners and mig welder, might be capable of doing? or does it need the axles to be balanced etc, I can get a diff from up here at one of the wreckers no worries, and wouldnt mind doing it myself, or at least do what I can, with things like the booster etc, do you sell them like as a kit to bolt in? Do you have much in the way of spare parts for the HRs?
Cheers.

dk4400

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE SV6 UTE
Hows the HD going? any updates and pics of it so far?
Cheers.

355HD

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 Vy commodore s pack/ 355 stroker 1965 HD Holden
hey man no more updates so far unfortunetly been flat out working but trying to get my hand on a set of front guards, a bonnet and going to see fat pipes at lawnton about the headers so once there all taken care of she'l be up and running and off to get painted so i post some more pics up once we get there

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
hey man no more updates so far unfortunetly been flat out working but trying to get my hand on a set of front guards, a bonnet and going to see fat pipes at lawnton about the headers so once there all taken care of she'l be up and running and off to get painted so i post some more pics up once we get there

Good luck with that one. We had probs getting HD guards nearly 20 years ago because they were as rare as rocking horse **** then.....

355HD

Reaction score
Members Ride
tell me about it bro I've been looking for about 4 months now and still nothing but i might have just been thrown a life line (fingers crossed) from a wrecker up near me but gotta drive 5 hours to get em but but ah well all part of the fun when dealing with rare cars aye

355HD

Reaction score
Members Ride
thanks ari i just put my shiz up on there hopefully someone can help me out with my quest to get rust free panels lol

dk4400

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE SV6 UTE
Barsby Spare Parts up here in Maryborough, might be worth a call, I get some stuff for mr HR from them and from memory im sure they had a HD or two there, not sure of condition,
like I said could be worth a call :)