Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

1967 Hr Holden 1uzfe V8

67 HR Holden

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hr Holden V8
Bought this car off of ebay as a unfinished project, spending the weekends doing what i can to finish it, though there is no real rush because i havent got my licence yet haha. it has a 1uzfe in it, all of the wiring is done, has a Vintage Air A/C, all seats have been recovered, front seats replaced with ve commodore seats, Vr diff with the Vr disc brakes, HQ discs on the front with jaguar 4-spot calipers, 4 speed auto that is standard with the 1uzfe. i might need a little bit of guidance with the project as far as getting it plated and registered, which could become a problem. but i have all of the time in the world to get things right. as far as i know the chassis hasnt been strengthened and neither has the front cross member which has been modified into a little to fit the motor in. in the process of replacing the floor which is the only bit of the car that has the slightest bit of rust in it. Any comments on what i might need to look at to get it certified would be appreciated, cheers. One day a while down the track when i got enough coin, the jap motor will be going and maybe a 253 or 308 to replace it.

Attachments

• Car 012.jpg
    Car 012.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 11,297
  • Car 013.jpg
    Car 013.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 8,162
  • Car 014.jpg
    Car 014.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 15,970
  • Car 015.jpg
    Car 015.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 2,362
  • Car 016.jpg
    Car 016.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 3,185
  • Car 017.jpg
    Car 017.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 3,012
  • Car 018.jpg
    Car 018.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 2,808
  • Car 019.jpg
    Car 019.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 1,903
  • Car 020.jpg
    Car 020.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 2,435
  • Car 021.jpg
    Car 021.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 7,673

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
EPIC :D what do you need to know? ADR's first started in 1969. so as far as the rules to adhere to... there kinda arent any. however you wont be able to just go and get a set of number plates. why? im still not sure. there are a bunch of conflicting ideas on fitting new engines to old cars.

the general rule with any car is it "needs to comply with all relevant ADR's current at the time of manufacture" so since there were none in 67' all you need do is make sure it doesnt exceed 98DB at 2/3's engine rpm. HOWEVER, there is a vehicle standards bulletin which contradicts that, is active in all states, but no one seems to take any notice of it, including the gentleman from DOTARS, VICroads and state police. they are all still using whatever rules were active before the bulletin came out.

i think what you will need to do is set the engine up so it complies with its original manufacturers emissions system, so things like EGR, cabron car, catalytic converter, etc etc will all need to be functioning, and your emissions will need to be tested by a licenced tester to confirm that it meets the emission levels for the year the engine was manufactured

all of that could be a bunch of BS though. i think the best thing to do is ring a couple of certified engineers and see what they say.

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
Nice car, interesting little project. In regards to getting it registered, everything has to be set up as it came out in the donor car. So, effectively, it's not an HR anymore, it's a Toyota with a different skin over it. Atleast that's how it has to be set up in Victoria. Everything must operate as it would have when that particular engine came out of the factory.

In regards to the car itself, i can see a few things that would help the car a bit. Ditch the silver bumpers and fit chrome ones, classic cars need chrome! Also, i'm sorry but those wheels do the car no justice at all IMO.

I'm not normally a fan of those reverse cowl scoops (the exceptions being Toranas and Camaros) but that one is neat. I like how it follows the natural lines in the bonnet, just higher. It doesn't look like it's just an afterthought like most of then.

Keep us updated on the progress.

kingswood country

Reaction score
Members Ride
hj kingswood
Haha I love the old stuff, keep up the good work, it's different to all the commo v6 and v8 conversions, I'm not a fan of jap, but for this I'll make an exception

Jonno

:)
Reaction score
Members Ride
;)
not bad mate,
i dont like the debadged boot it looks kinda naked lol...
other than that get the chrome back
loose the tims and should be sweet

Hangman

Aspiring Sociopath
Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Land Yacht
Love the HR, mate. I miss my old one.

As said above, my understanding is you need to run all the emissions gear etc off the donor car.

67 HR Holden

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hr Holden V8
thanks for the tips about the compliance, it should be all good then. yeah i will eventually chrome the bumpers and get some HOLDEN lettering for the boot lid, id rather spend my money on getting it going for now though.

thunder62

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz thunder ute 2006 6ltr
love the hr. I have had some in my day. wish i still had them!