Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

1969 VF Valiant Regal.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Great project Soop. Might only be a Valiant but anything from local manufacturers from the 60's is worth restoring. The beauty of those old girls is that they are so simple to work on and repair. No exotic steels, panels that actually had more than 1mm thick metal, no flash electronics - can't go past them. And Valiants are getting pretty rare these days - probably because they were so poorly regarded once the factory stopped making them.

And screw the "Fireball". 318 cubic inches of nothing.

340 ex Charger E55.

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
LOL how long has it been since you've seen a 340 that doesn't need a rebuild?
Problem with them is they're great motors. So they've been used as such!
The 318 "fireball" (unfortunate name for a motor) can be made to go really well. With a really nice aftermarket support from the states as well.

The main reason I got it, was because you just don't see them any more. Kingswoods and old falcons are a dime a dozen in comparision and really the Valiant was right up there as far as being the alternative vehicle, its not as if they were just some quirk. As for being simple, well... That's an understatement. The Regal model is the equivelent to a Calais. Guess what's so special... It has a heater. I'm serious.

As for exterior and interior idea's. LONG way off at the moment, quiet a bit of body work to be done (more pics a little late). But a first idea is sting red (vx red) with black bumble bee stripes over the rear end like the Chargers/Pacers.
And maybe a black interior like the Pacer?
I'm just looking to keep it looking standard but clean with a little personal touch to it.
Very much open to idea's though, I've never spent much time with the Chryslers, So I'm not really up to date on what works and what doesn't.

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Trying to find one is the issue.
To be frank, I don't even know what models they came out in.

99% of the Valiants had slant sixes. (Still go as hard as an injected 304 most of the time!)

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I'm old enough to remember when the first Pacers were released. The colour scheme that sticks in my mind was a white one with the red stripes running along the sides and over the boot, but that might have been a VG colour scheme. The Pacer was also the first local car with "tombstone" buckets - it was quite a ****-hot deal for its time.

Regarding the 340 - well, to be honest, being a Holden man, I have never followed the progress of the Mopar line development but I recall that, when new, the E55 Charger, with the 340, was a honker, considering it was just a stocker with a four barrel Carter (I think). The 360 that Mace mentions was only a 2 barrel and in standard form back then, was a real slug for its size, but obviously, the more cubes the merrier if you can find one.

Still, the 318 has the basis and the US aftermarket range for them is huge, so whatever you choose should make it a neat unit and something different.

Just make sure the front end stays stuck to the firewall and there is no rust behind the steering box. I can remember MANY Valiants separating at the firewall in prangs so it must have been a potential weak spot.

vk.jonno

:):):)
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk commodore, hq one tonner, hj ute,
yeah... this is going to be nicee.

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah, I've noted through my brief research that the Valiants like to rust through the plenum and its almost a given that it will have rust there, but mine doesn't!!!

It has some substantial rust in the front corner of either sill but thats it!!

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Trying to find one is the issue.
To be frank, I don't even know what models they came out in.

99% of the Valiants had slant sixes. (Still go as hard as an injected 304 most of the time!)

There weren't many of them made but it came out in that 2 door barge "Chrysler by Chrysler" in the VJ. Twenty five feet of really bad taste.

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
HAHAHAHA, yeah I know the one.
Very much aimed at wogs in the late 70's.

I'll see if I can find a dead Chrysler by Chrysler and go from there. Its easier and cheaper to buy knackered cars for parts then to source them seperately.
I've got a VF wagon coming next weekend that is totall munted but still has some handy parts on it. I'll even pinch some of the sheet metal to repair the sedan.

Feel like a hot rodder now! (You just don't bother with **** like this on a Commodore)