Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

1982 SLX Holden Commodore sedan

windowless66

Reaction score
Members Ride
vh slx
Owned this car for 9 years picked it up with 149000 on the clock and have now doubled that. The car was used as my daily and has earned a few battle scars along the way. It was taken off the road a couple of years ago as age had taken its toll on the suspension, rack and pinion and had electrical earth problems and I didn't want to pour money into the car to get it up to scratch. I hadn't offered the car up for sale but a local bloke had offered me $400 bucks and I couldn't bring myself to part with it for so little cash so it has sat in our yard for the last 2 years.
Then on a recent ebay browse I came across a 253 vh slx wagon not too far from home that had all the bits I needed and an extra couple of cylinders....I ended up winning the auction and now the fun begins.

Not planning anything anything too extreme just a nice 80's cruiser :)

Last edited:

corhijasna

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ss commodore / WM Caprice V
nice base to start with,will watch as you go-good luck with it all

Project_87

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Calais
Cool project, I'm looking forward to watching this! more photos :)

windowless66

Reaction score
Members Ride
vh slx
New ride height looking good!!

Engine is out and the bay needs a bit of a cleanup nothing too major just a quick coat of the original white

Bit more fiddling involved in taking out the bigger engine and box slowly getting there though.

Interior desperately needs a clean....put the original am radio back in might have to add something hidden

Planning on using these cheviots for now hopefully they clean up alright

windowless66

Reaction score
Members Ride
vh slx
Got a little bit done engines are now out of both cars, front crossmember was taken off struts and all, and engine bay mostly stripped and had a big cleanup. Just a bit of sanding and the engine bay can be painted.

Patiently waiting

Still a fair bit of work before the engine can go in place plan of attack is-

Paint engine bay
Install V8 crossmember struts and all hopefully will be able to do it in one go like it came off... Won't be doing that solo
Remove 6cyl diff and replace with V8 diff I was going to try and thread the exhaust over the top while the diffs out
Then the engine should be able to go in

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
nice
those Cheviot wheels look like original VH SS wheels
the engine bay is a big improvement, just with the clean
are you going to give the engine a bit of a tidy up and respray before you drop it in ?

Young gun

Dream BIG!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
79 vb
This is cool. Are the 6 and 8 kframes the same?

windowless66

Reaction score
Members Ride
vh slx
Cheviots could be ss but I don't think they are because they are only 6" I got them on another slx wagon I had.
Yeah going to put a gasket kit through the engine replace the water pump, get some stock rocker covers and maybe a stock aircleaner.
Bit of a gamble on the condition of the engine though. When I bought it the last owner had owned it for two years and never started it.
Think the fuel pump or pickup was cactus? and the tank leaked.
When I got it home I checked the oil and cranked it over had oil pressure put a little fuel down the carb and it fired. Idled nicely but I haven't really had it running properly.

windowless66

Reaction score
Members Ride
vh slx
Thanks. I'm pretty sure the K frames are the same, Just trying to save some time and do it all in one go. Plus made it heaps easier to clean the bay and will be easier to paint with it out.

corhijasna

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ss commodore / WM Caprice V
coming along nicely,engine bay looks heaps better just with a clean.will look awesome when you paint it,what colour are you gonna paint it