Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

1985 VK SL RB30/25 - Under Construction

Dylbree

Reaction score
Members Ride
85' VK SL
I bought this 85' VK SL in early 2012 with a running black 202 carby with full redback exhaust and a slipping gearbox for 500$. Bought for a project/daily, the interior was half decent and paint was pretty shabby, plans changed and one thing led to another...

It sat in my yard until halfway through 2013 when i agreed on my plans and started this thing :D
So the goal for the project was so slip an rb30 in while keeing the inside and outside looking stock i grabbed an rb30 complete engine, intake and loom with ac compressor off a mate for 250$ it was out of a vl wagon but he sold the turbo gear. So first was to get the paint sorted. My mate is a panel beater by trade so everyday after work, we stripped and started the body work in his garage and then took it into his shop to paint her in the booth. The boot lid had to be replaced as it had way to much pitting.. At the same time i was gathering parts :D Also drove it to my mates place with no glass, door handles and lights to get my aerial shaved and one hole that was under the right rear quarter welded up and repaired... fun times :D Then did skids before replacing the trimatic for road worthy/drive ability :p

Then into primer :D I was overwhelmed by the results, Soo damn straight and was happy to help and learn :D Celebratory beers were had too, oh and a fire in the street :

She sat for a week or two until i could get my custom paint mixed and sorted, then we rubbed her down and sent her to the booth, happy days :)

Here are the parts I have gathered, RB30e engine, loom etc, Manual pedal box w/ slave and master, VL kframe, VL Fuel tank as my VK is carby :( VT Brake upgrade, R33 RB25 s1 complete stock head and R33 5 speed gearbox off a mate for super cheap ;) so the plan changed and now the RB30DET/ Rb30/25 setup is in the works..... Also found new interior with no rips etc for 80$ Laughin' and another random parts etc

So heres the outcome :D Im happy with the results and my aim to be different is almost there id like to think :) Mint green custom mix in 2pac with a 30% matte clear coat ;)

Now slowly putting her back together for road worthy, got new windscreen rubbers etc and glass, and restoring it back to road worthy, so i can drive her around while i build and forge my RB30DET :D slow progress, but progress is progress. have since moved house one suburb away so drove her there also :p

Front and Rear bars are getting painted today :)) then it should almost be ready for roady :D Will put more pics up when its all back together and i start stripping my RB30 block.

enroh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS UTE, 69 CAMARO!
Noice!

----500rwhp corn juiced & boosted ls1----

Dylbree

Reaction score
Members Ride
85' VK SL
Here is the freshly painted front and rear bars, and at the back are the quarter window plastic shroud thingos. I missed painting them when the car went in so they just got the coat of green :D Now i can finally finish the exterior and put the last of my chrome strips back on :D Happy happy happy

Young gun

Dream BIG!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
79 vb
Haha. I recon if fast and furious was made in Australia it would look like your place.
Did you paint in the jams aswell?

Dylbree

Reaction score
Members Ride
85' VK SL
Haha. I recon if fast and furious was made in Australia it would look like your place.
Did you paint in the jams aswell?

Haha cheers man :) and nuh i didnt paint the jams, im going to paint inside jams etc black :D

Dylbree

Reaction score
Members Ride
85' VK SL
Finally put my Berlina back seats in, looks smick :)

Dylbree

Reaction score
Members Ride
85' VK SL
Changed front seats as well yesterday :)

Now to find brackets to put bars on.. Hard to find :(

grantius

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Berlina
Cool stuff man, do you know if the RB30 in a VK will have the same problem the VL's do with the radiator being too low for the engine?

Dylbree

Reaction score
Members Ride
85' VK SL
Yeh quite sure it will, my mate has an rb30 in his VK and he said he had to cut some of the bottom off of the radiator...

Dylbree

Reaction score
Members Ride
85' VK SL
Finally but the front and rear bars on! Custom mounts at the front due to i couldnt find the original ones, more pics later :)