Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

1987 Holden Commodore VL Executive 'Formula'

Cross 6

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cross 6
G'day Guys

I am looking at purchasing a genuine 1987 Commodore VL Executive 'Formula' to restore. The car is original, complete and unmolested. I am no expert on this 'limited edition' model of VL but it would appear that it retains most, if not all the Formula factory fitted accessories. The car is all over white.

It has the following:
  • Formula exterior decals and striping.
  • Front and rear colour (white) matching bumpers.
  • Colour (white) matching side skirts (not shown in Holdens promotional brochures).
  • Low profile boot mounted black rubber air deflector.
  • Walkinshaw style alloy rims in matching white.
  • Mid blue interior with the word 'FORMULA' on each front seat head rest.
  • Red reflector escutcheon panel to rear. It has the word COMMODORE in black lettering.
  • Original Holden/Owners manual.
I would like to find more information about these VL 'Formula' models.
  • How many were made?
  • Are they rare (original and authentic examples)?
  • What accessories were available?
  • Are there any photographs of authentic original 'Formula' VL Commodores that I can use for reference? I am particularly after a photo of an all white Formula with side skirts and Walkinshaw style rims.
Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
I will have a look through my genuine Factory Service Manuals to see what info there is regarding this limited release model. From memory there was not much about them at all.

Also if I'm correct the rear tail light extension garnish (Escucheon Panel)was produced in "reflector Red" opposed to black or grey as they were on all other models.

Cheers.

Cross 6

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cross 6
Hello vs-lover.

Thanks for your reply. The VL Formula model must have been 'very limited' as I have yet to find information or original production cars images of them online. There are however, a couple of photographs of what appear to be 'non original/modified' Formula cars.

Yes, this car has the red reflector escutcheon panel. It has the word COMMODORE on the panel (in black lettering). I'll add this to my first post. Thanks.

I have attached the Holden promotional brochure below. This VL does not show the Walkinshaw stlye rims or the matching side skirts. Rather confusing.

VL.jpg VL2.jpg

Last edited:

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Welcome Cross 6. (nice choice of ute)
I remember looking at the Formulas back in the day, and thinking 'too much white', with the white plastic wheel covers.
The rims and side skirts you mention were not stock. They were just an advertising/promotional/dress-up special. A bit ordinary back then.

Edit . Another thought about the 'Walkinshaw' rims, it would have been too early to fit those as an option. Perhaps HDT Momo rims as an aftermarket. Are there any identifying stamps on your rims or skirts. ?

Last edited:

Cross 6

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cross 6
G'day figjam

I have inspected the vehicle only once. I will need to go back for another look and write down more details. I have attached a photo of the rims I believe are on the VL Formula. They certainly look like these HDT Momos, but in white. I remember the face of the rim was flat with no curved off set.
I do not have any details on the side skirts unfortunately.
I have been told that this Formula was spec'ed up at the dealership before delivery. If so, all the extras would have come through the dealer and not via 'aftermarket' accessories stores.

Holden-HDT-Brock-red-17-1140x700.jpg

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
I have attached the Holden promotional brochure below. This VL does not show the Walkinshaw stlye rims or the matching side skirts. Rather confusing.

That was the VL Formula....no alloys, just hubcaps. Anything else has been changed by someone.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
Hi Cross 6,

As mentioned above the Formula was merely a marketing pack that was introduced in July of 1986 and it coincided with the release of the V8 re-inclusion in the VL model.
The Formula was available in both 6 cylinder and 8 and was based on both 8VK19 and 8VL19 variants which are the codes for Exec and Berlina respectively. (8VK19 has nothing to do with VK Commodore whatsoever) There was no Wagon variant released.

The wheels on the Formula were fitted with white painted Berlina hubcaps. The wheels you are thinking of are probably after market CSA wheels which looked similar to the Momo Stars.

There are no Formula parts listed in the first print of the VL Parts Manual (text & illustrations), but were included in later prints of the books and all models are fully detailed in the last reprint which was M40000.

If there is anything parts wise you want to know please just ask me via PM.

Cheers.

Last edited:

Cross 6

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cross 6
Thanks for the information guys. Much appreciated.

I have contacted the dealership who sold the car new. I am hoping they may have some archived sales receipts or documents on this car.

I will endeavour to revisit the car in the next week or so and get some more info and photos.