Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

1988 Holden LD Astra 1.8

Row01

Reaction score
Members Ride
88 Astra
Hi,

I have an 88 LD astra 1.8, lately it has been stalling at lights etc. now it has started making a pretty loud tapping noise and to top it all off oil is coming back up out of the oil cap and rocker gasket....Does this sound like something major and i should just scrap the car all together (as it is an old car afterall) or does this sound like a problem that can easily be fixed.

Any help would be much appreciated

Ta

Tree cutter

Tree cutter
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais SuperchargedV6
Sounds a bit like a cracked piston to me. Pull the spark plugs out and check them to see if any are black and wet with oil. If any of your spark plugs are covered in oil then it is time for an engine rebuild.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I doubt that the car would be worth repairing. It's really just an old Pulsar with Holden badges and not worth anything except to its owner. Cost of repairs could exceed the car's value. I wouldn't bother repairing it if it were mine.

Row01

Reaction score
Members Ride
88 Astra
Sounds a bit like a cracked piston to me. Pull the spark plugs out and check them to see if any are black and wet with oil. If any of your spark plugs are covered in oil then it is time for an engine rebuild.

Thanks heaps for that tree cutter - will be pulling them out this arvo. Sounds like a major job replacing pistons etc although i can get parts quite easily for it as i have a mate who has a 87 - 99 astra sedan auto who said i can take whatever off it.

The car does have sentimental value and until its time for the shitheap, its stayin hahaha