Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

1990 corolla seca fix up. 4age 20v

elless1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU SS
Haha, i did think about putting disks on the back, the sx corolla that came with the factory
4age had disks, i was also tossed up doing a 5 stud conversion. The way my money is sitting at the moment
i'm just trying to get away with doing it as cheap as possible without using cheap ****.
If that makes sense.

Did the rear bearings and brakes for about 150 bucks. Not bad imo.
With new shoes in the back and new pads in the front she should pull up pretty
good. At least with the sealed bearings i wont have to go near them again.

The weathers turned **** here again just in time for the weekend like it does
or has been doing for about the last 17 weekends in a row. Depending on how
it looks outside i want to re-skimcoat the quarter with filler and give the tailgate
a sand and have both bits in high fill again. Bit hesitant shooting primer in
humid or damp weather.

The rolla always had an oil leak from a plate that is bolted on to where the oil filter screws on.
Since the motor was put in the car it always had a drip there that would run down the exhaust
and stink every time i drove it.
I want to sort this out so i can put the extractors back on and get it running again.

Hopefully i'll have something to update this arvo.

Thanks for looking.

elless1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU SS
Not much in the way of pictures but the oil leak got sorted. i put in a new thermostat and flushed the motor
and rad, changed the gearbox oil and serviced the motor. The motor used to run mobil1 but i'm swapping
to the same stuff i use in the ls1's. HPR15.

I took stuff all pics beacuase it was pretty boring **** and i was trying to get it all done.
The extractors i got for cheap had some new studs put in and some new crush washers,
all ready to be bolted back on. only photos i took for the day.

IMG_3085.jpg

IMG_3086.jpg

Hoping next time the weathers ok i'll get some fluids in it and take it
around the block. It's also proving pretty hard to get parts for this thing,which
isnt a big surprise. Even at toyota though.

The exhaust gasket i got from a local supply mob has the ports in the right spots
but the bolt holes are off. Got to sort something there. I was going to buff the headers and
maybe paint or polish them but just want it to look stock for the pits.

Cheers.

FlatOut 710

Yeah nah mate
Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 VT Commodore S Pac
Looks like a MAD little car dude, I know exactly what you mean about it being sentimental, half the reason I'm doing up my commo lol

elless1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU SS
Some things you just cant get rid of, and you need to fix hey. Chuck up a link to your build and i'll check it out.

I'm doing some work to the old girl today, should have more pics this arvo. I'll also write the whole story of the car
and why it means so much to fix it. It will probably end up turning into a short novel but anyway. Hoping to get some more panel work
done and maybe get it running, see how we go.

Cheers.

elless1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU SS
I chucked another coat of filler over the spots i wasn't i happy with-

IMG_3122.jpg

And pulled the door off. It needed sanding and primer.

IMG_3126.jpg

Then i sanded back the guard where i put the filler on with my blocks. (knocked
the top off with the d/a sander then used the foam blocks.)

IMG_3127.jpg

The tailgate got a sand too and reprimed with high fill.

IMG_3131.jpg

After a good sanding and a wipe down the door got some primer.

IMG_3132.jpg

It was left to dry for a bit then put back on.

IMG_3134.jpg

IMG_3135.jpg

IMG_3136.jpg

IMG_3137.jpg

Shouldnt be too much more to do prep wise for the shape. Just some small
things. Today was windy as hell and made life difficult. Theres some small
bugs and **** in the primer. I'm thinking of doing the prep then doing the
base and clear in a booth.

Next job is to clean the engine bay. Its a dump in there. It's oily and has
everything from tree leaves to berries and rat **** inside it. Ive never cleaned
the engine bay on any of my cars but i got some cans of degreaser from supercheap
and a little brush.

I sprayed a bit on and it looks like the paint from the block came off. Should be a fun job.
Hopefully i'll get cracking tomorrow. Here's what i'm up against.

IMG_3123.jpg

IMG_3124.jpg

IMG_3125.jpg

Hopefully all being well i can get some fluids in it tomorrow and get it on the road for
a minute. I need to see how bad the gbox is crunching, and how the brakes are working.
It's looking like i'll be having to pull the box out if i want it fixed. That should be real fun.

Thanks for looking.

R

Risky

Bloody good job mate. That engine will take you a while to clean up so don't use your missus' toothbrush or she might get a little peeved off lol.

If the gearbox is bad, you might be better off heading to the wreckers to get a decent one. There should be plenty available. The local TAFE here buy Toyota engines/gearboxes to teach students as they're easy to work on.

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
Great job, the lines on the panel you replaced look spot on in the photos.

elless1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU SS
Thanks for the comments guys. Risky, i got another gearbox a while back for dirt cheap but its out
of a 16v corolla so its slightly different and i dont think it has lsd. Anyway might come in useful for spares.
The gear crunching isn't abnormal for these. They can only get abused for so long like anything else.
And most of them get abused.

So today i gave the engine a clean. Didnt get too carried away because i'm a fussy bastard and i'll
want to pull all the inlet stuff off and get around the sides and back, but the front got a clean and
i replaced the front eng mount before i put the extractors back on. The old engine mount was pretty flogged.

IMG_3140.jpg

Then the extractors went on,the rad went in and some fluids got put in. Here's
what it looks like together.

IMG_3141.jpg

IMG_3142.jpg

After taking it for a quick spin it was obvious the front brakes where knackered,so I pulled
the rotors and pads out. The pads had a lot of meat on them but
theyre just old and corroded like the rotors. Just after this next photo was taken
i had a big black spider try to crawl into my beard. Theres a lot of unhappy,
big, jet black spiders in this car. He got destroyed before i could get a pic.
Anyway-

IMG_3144.jpg

IMG_3146.jpg

My mates machining the rotors, and i'm still trying to find some decent pads for the front.
After going through a **** load of catalogue books ive got the local brake parts mob ringing
over east to find some decent street pads.

I also toyed with doing the front wheel bearings but couldnt be stuffed pulling the shafts out and stuffing around
today. Might even just take it somewhere, not sure yet. I'm tempted to do a fuel pump as well,
but i'll start with a filter and some fresh fuel. The car actually ran mint, just wasnt keen on stomping
on it and going through a house. She blew some smoke at the start but the fuel is ancient. and the
smoke cleared up.

Looking like next week she should have new brakes on the front again. And if i'm keen i might
tackle the front wheel bearings before i put the brakes on.

Thanks for looking.

R

Risky

You may as well paint the discs & the calipers while you have them off.

Nice clean up there mate.