Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

1991 Holden barina fan belt snapped

thebot123

Compulsive JC User
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Commodore 1993, VT Commodore 1997
hey lads i got a friend that owns a `1991 holden barina a little 4 door white thing..

last night he was driving home from work and heard a snap then his car battery light come on and lost all power when trying to accelerate.. i went and had a look for him and 1 or the 2 fan belts he has meant to have has snapped and come off. the belt around the alternator etc has snapped the other seems to be on fine.

how do i put this new belt on? with the vp/vt you lower or raise the idler pulley therefore giving you room to put the belt on.. i had a look at my mates and it doesnt seem to have that.. is there any hints and tricks to putting on these belts on?

do both fan belts come in a pack or just one? what fan belt do i ask for when at the shop? its the one that goes around the alternator, harmonic balancer and something else.., the secondary belt i didnt really look at to much to see what it went around..

any help would be appreciated thankyou.

franklinfrog

Reaction score
Website
www.cheapbrisbanebikes.com
Members Ride
VY SS Wagon 5.7 Auto Wikid Postie Bike
I've never changed one, or looked at a barina and since no one cares about barinas to make a forum I'll take a guess.....

There has to be some sort of adjustable tensioner, if it's not a separate pulley, then most likely the whole alternator swings to tension it, or whatever else is on this belt. Investigate what could possible move to tension the belt. Ask for exactly that, alternator belt.

thebot123

Compulsive JC User
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Commodore 1993, VT Commodore 1997
ohh shattered... so it could be a little mission. hmmm damn..

id appreciate any more help or pointers.. ive had a little look but nothing seems to move or release its like the belt just goes around it but i know it dont work like that