Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

1991 vn speedo giving false readings

arc angel vn ss

Reaction score
Members Ride
S2 custom VR ute
hi ive got a 1991 vn commodore its an ss replica and yer

i have a serious problem with the speedo sum time when i start the car the speedo give me the corecct speed im doing or close to it but then if i accelerate hard or have alot of ppl in the car the speedo goes out by 10 or 20 its never been out by more then 25 but its a problem as i was on my way home from werk thinkin i was doing the correct speed 80 when pulled over and fined 250$ and told i was doing 101 and losing 3 demerit points and only being a red p plater means ive only got 1 left i need help does any1 no what could be causing this

Attachments

• 23022009102.jpg
    23022009102.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 206

vn calais manual

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn calais, vs clubsport #137
hasnt had a diff change has it? sum1 might have changed the diff gears to a different ratio throwing it out.

arc angel vn ss

Reaction score
Members Ride
S2 custom VR ute
not that i know of i only got it last october for my birthday and yer it doesnt appear to have been changed

vn calais manual

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn calais, vs clubsport #137
id look into it, remove the rear diff cover, drain the oil out, and look on the side of the crownwheel for a diff ratio stamped into it.

standard is 3.08:1.

youll need some oil and an $11 gasket, takes 20 minutes if that.

if the ratio is anything but 3.08:1 youll need a speedo corector kit.

arc angel vn ss

Reaction score
Members Ride
S2 custom VR ute
yer i just called the guy i bought it off and he said that he hasnt touched the rear diff and the ratio hasnt been changed

its just weird nobodys herd of a speedo doing that before

Vt-Brrrlina

vp bt1 gts replica
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp bt1 5.0ltr full GTS kit
dont worry mate - think its more common than ya think - my vp is an ex chaser with 90k on the clock , and the speedos out - would hate to think how many speeding fines came out of my car , and mines absolute stock as a rock besides the body kit and some wheels, and wheels wont throw it out too much

arc angel vn ss

Reaction score
Members Ride
S2 custom VR ute
yer but like my speedo isnt out like permently out like 10 and it stays that way sum times it werks sumtimes its 10 under and sumtimes 20 under it changes