Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

1991 VP Calais - HSV Enhanced

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 LC Sahara TTDV8, 1991 VP Calais V8
Did a little digging for the information I have on this car and this is all I have, and most of it makes sense. I'm guessing EP1 means the 180kW engine package.

The HSV plate under model number says E.W.B, which is the only thing I can't figure out.

Anybody else seen E.W.B before?

thumbnail_image001.jpg

Advertisement-33.jpg

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
This thing has been living at the workshop for the last few months. Got it towed there after kickdown cable snapped, with instructions to fix everything they find, and add a 3.9 truetrac while they are at it. Should be nearly done.

They went over it with a fine tooth comb, and I knew most of these issues existed but decided to get it sorted once and for all.

List of work done:
  • Replace all oil and fluids, including auto service
  • 3.9 truetrac
  • AC re-gassed
  • Sort out aircon drain tube
  • Fix rear brake lights, harness was stuffed
  • Replace steering rack boots
  • Replace kickdown cable
  • Replace welch plugs and heater hoses at back of block (plug was leaking)
  • New gear reduction starter
  • Replace strut top mounts
  • Replace fuel return line
  • Replace timing case and manifold valley gaskets
  • Replace exhaust gaskets
  • Remove fuel tank, clean out, replace breather hoses and refit.
This should sort out most the issues and make it half reliable. Lets see what happens.

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ok, its back. Things got serious when I visited and saw this.

298350334_821171332380593_2989690859798945818_n.jpg
IMG_3121_2.jpg

I think had I would have known that the engine was coming out, then I would have planned for some work to be done. But it is what it is.

So all up, the following was done. Not a cheap exercise but it should be good to go for years.
  • 3.9 truetrac fitted
  • All fluids and filters, including box
  • New kickdown cable
  • New strut top mounts plus wheel alignment
  • Steering rack boot replaced, steering flushed
  • Repaired tail light harness
  • Replaced all welch plugs
  • Replaced all manifold, rocker cover and exhaust gaskets
  • Replaced crankshaft seal
  • All new hoses back and front, new heater tap
  • New coil
  • New sparkplugs and leads
  • Cleaned out and resealed fuel tank
  • New water pump
  • New starter motor
  • Flushed block and cooling system.
  • Aircon regas
  • Rectified bad earths.
Whilst this was being done, I tracked down and purchased a set of VP GTS/Senator 30p offset wheels for some period correctness. I have spent years and years looking for a set reasonably close to me. I wanted 30p as I have IRS and the dish on these are awesome. Anyway, they need a resto. I ordered new wheel cap badges from Stick This which arrived today. I'll drop the wheels off on Friday.

IMG_8678_2.JPG

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Looking good!

And yeah unfortunately once it starts coming to the rear main seals etc in these engines it's an engine out job.

Or drop the kframe and then the sump then the crank but it's much easier to take the engine out as the crank has to come out to put the new rope seal in.

I'm about to do the same for a mates car in the coming months that like yours has been in storage and the rear seal has let go from sitting.

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
Looking good!

And yeah unfortunately once it starts coming to the rear main seals etc in these engines it's an engine out job.

Or drop the kframe and then the sump then the crank but it's much easier to take the engine out as the crank has to come out to put the new rope seal in.

I'm about to do the same for a mates car in the coming months that like yours has been in storage and the rear seal has let go from sitting.

Thanks mate.

It's all the hidden stuff that really racked up the $$$. The welch plug that was leaking was of course the one behind the engine mount, so out the motor came. When it was out we had a discussion and basically said replace everything within reason whilst its out. So that's why all the gaskets were done, as well as heater hoses, water pump, starter etc.

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
Super cool!
Hey any chance of an engine bay picture of the purple VN-VS parked next to your motor?

Nah unfortunately not. Was a VH or VK from memory, COME throttle body and a supercharger. Not sure whether 355 or not.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Nah unfortunately not. Was a VH or VK from memory, COME throttle body and a supercharger. Not sure whether 355 or not.
Yeah, saw that manifold and was interested in what was going on before the throttle blades as it looked interesting.

On another note, those wheels look really cool. Are you going to sand out the kerbing and powder coat them? Or fit as is for now?

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
The wheels will get stripped, gutter rash and other damage repaired, and I'll get them sprayed.

It's not a daily so the extra durability of the power coating isn't an issue, and the wheel shops I have spoken to say the finish off the gun is slightly better.

I'm just trying to decide whether to get them painted in the factory colour (which might be hi ho silver metallic), or get them matched to my current SV5000/Family wheels which is a flatter silver but brighter.

IMG_8843_2.JPG