Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

1992 VP Cooling Problems

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim
Hi guys,
I've just got my first car/project car which is a 1992 V6 VP commodore and of course the thermo fan isn't working, I have heard of wiring up a manual switch to the fan, but I'm looking for it to be switched on by the ECU, the wring from the fuse box to the fan is fine, but it wont switch on, any ideas. Would replacing the temp sensors Help.

P.S. The temperature gauge doesn't work properly either, it's not stuck, but only goes up one notch only when the car is at operating temp. Any ideas with that

Cheers,
Darcy.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Tap top of dash or flick finger on clear plastic left side of speedo...they get dry solder joints so temp/fuel gauge get finicky.

Other thing is need to bleed air out repeatedly,they'll stay cooler for longer & done right iirc fan comes on up high near 3/4 mark????

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim
Tap top of dash or flick finger on clear plastic left side of speedo...they get dry solder joints so temp/fuel gauge get finicky.

Other thing is need to bleed air out repeatedly,they'll stay cooler for longer & done right iirc fan comes on up high near 3/4 mark????
I've tapped (Mainly banged on the gauge cluster) and I have tried bleeding the system many times, would replacing thermostat and the temp sensors help?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Try turning the AC on if you have it and report back. The fans should kick in straight away. The relay connections in the panel have a habit of burning out. This might be the issue. AC on and no fans will suggest the former.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim
Try turning the AC on if you have it and report back. The fans should kick in straight away. The relay connections in the panel have a habit of burning out. This might be the issue. AC on and no fans will suggest the former.
I forgot to mention that when I press the AC button it doesn't kick in but the system is also un gassed so???

Sorry haha, I can't get help from family members so I'm asking online and you guys have been a great help so far. Thanks

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Is there power at thermofan plug on both sides? Does thermostat work or nothing in there?

Have you ran it long enough for fans to come on or does it overheat?

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim
It was run for long enough (The water was boiling out the overflow tank), the fan is plugged in correctly as well.

Something else i forgot to mention, I took the relay out, I've got the 2 power sources (key and battery??) and i can manually jump the fan to turn it on, i've swapped it with a known good relay of the same specifications and nothing happens still. Another question how does the sytem work, does the ECU ground a part of the circuit to turn it on?

I'm just throwing out what i've diagnosed with my limited knowledge, sorry if i'm not giving enough info.

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
Do you get any codes from the check engine light when you jump an earth across the ALDL test terminal? Does the fan run when you do this? Are the fuses etc in the circuits feeding the relay OK?
On my 5L the ECM earths to switch on the A/C condenser fan (the main V8 engine fan has a hydraulic clutch) , I'd assume your V6 ECM internally earths to switch on your engine fan.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim
Do you get any codes from the check engine light when you jump an earth across the ALDL test terminal? Does the fan run when you do this? Are the fuses etc in the circuits feeding the relay OK?
On my 5L the ECM earths to switch on the A/C condenser fan (the main V8 engine fan has a hydraulic clutch) , I'd assume your V6 ECM internally earths to switch on your engine fan.
I was going to jump the pins but when i went to look for it I couldn't find them, where are they and what does the terminal look like, all the fuses are all good and aren't blown. And isn't the ALDL terminal different IDK.