Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

1992 VP Cooling Problems

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim
It is. Howard Instruments can do it in Melbourne for a Level 3 cluster but it was pretty expensive because of the trip computer. Why don't you just make a note of the old and new speedo speedo readings and work out how much you need to add/subtract. Use your money to get the car running, you can always adjust the speedo later.
So, I've tried the resolder technique but nothing worked.
The flexible PCB along the back had cracks through it so i guess new gauge cluster time YAY!
RIP my wallet.

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
Ok did you you try to resolder the cracks in the PCB with resin cored solder about 1mm dia and used a very fine pointed soldering iron? The cracks are through the metal tracks in the PCB and there's generally only one before the PCB is pulled apart for checking.
If you can afford it a new secondhand cluster is the way to go but you need to check that it will suit your model, preferably exactly suit your vehicle- Holden model name, year and cluster level.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim
Ok did you you try to resolder the cracks in the PCB with resin cored solder about 1mm dia and used a very fine pointed soldering iron? The cracks are through the metal tracks in the PCB and there's generally only one before the PCB is pulled apart for checking.
If you can afford it a new secondhand cluster is the way to go but you need to check that it will suit your model, preferably exactly suit your vehicle- Holden model name, year and cluster level.
Very late to reply,
Yes I did, it made no difference
The speedo would move alot when i took the needles out, it would fly around if i put it on the desk hard.

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
The speedo & all the other cluster needles are very finely balanced. I wouldn't have removed them. You might have to start looking for a new cluster. I've seen level 3's on Gumtree for $70 but you take a risk on the LCD displays.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim
The speedo & all the other cluster needles are very finely balanced. I wouldn't have removed them. You might have to start looking for a new cluster. I've seen level 3's on Gumtree for $70 but you take a risk on the LCD displays.
Thanks,
I'll see what i can find.
I'll remembe not to remove the needles next time.

Is there a way to test if the speed sensor is working at the gauge connectors (Like probing the pins)?

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
Good idea to find on this forum the instructions for disassembling the cluster. The plastic parts getting old now and break easily.
Testing the speed sensor is not easy to describe, the GMH method I used involves wiring in a temporary 47000 ohm resistor. But if the speed sensor and its circuit is working you should get a 1 to 10V signal at ECM terminal A10. I normally do this with:
1 Ignition on,
2 Backprobe A10 in the ECM- I've made fine probes from sewing needles and use a long extension lead made from 2 core flex to take the signal to where I can see the multimeter from the back wheel. The ECM terminals are marked on the plug.
3 Rotate back wheel by hand
4You should see the multimeter signal go from 1 to 10 V DC. This happens even if you only rotate the wheel slowly.
Good luck