Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

1992 VP Cooling Problems

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
The ALDL is a loose 6 pin plug hanging from the main loom that's hidden to the left of the glove box. It will have a row of 4 connectors with 2 connectors under it separated by a clip that's meant to hold the plug from a GM Tech 1.
You need to connect the two pins on the right side- a black wire and a black/white wire. I use a bent paperclip for this.
With the ignition on and the engine on it will flash a code through the check engine light. These flashes will tell you the state of the faults stored in the ECM.
Note for a 5L there is no specific flash code for the A/C fan but if the ALDL terminal is earthed the A/C fan should come on. I don't know exactly what happens with a V6 but I would suspect all fans should come on.

FXST01

The Grey Man
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 Exec
Does the fan actually work?

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Well if the temp gauge not working then you should try replacing the Sensor or see if it has a good contact first.

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
Does the sensor that tells the ECM to switch on the fan work and is it connected?

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim
To answer the questions, the fan does work (I've powered it up using a small 9v battery pack i had), the temp sensors are an unknown if they are dead but I've checked the connectors to the ECM one and it is fine, i cleaned some green gunk of the spade connector for the gauge sensor but that didn't do anything.

I've tried to get new sensors, but since i don't have a license yet and my dad won't take me to autobarn or supercheap I'm stuck for a while.

Last edited:

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
I would think replacing the 2 sensors would be a good next step. One sensor feeds the dash gauge and the other the ECM. I guess that if the sensor that feeds the ECM is faulty that would stop the fan cutting in. You already know the dash sensor works, at least to some extent but I would replace both. Plenty of them on evilbay that will be delivered to your door.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim
I would think replacing the 2 sensors would be a good next step. One sensor feeds the dash gauge and the other the ECM. I guess that if the sensor that feeds the ECM is faulty that would stop the fan cutting in. You already know the dash sensor works, at least to some extent but I would replace both. Plenty of them on evilbay that will be delivered to your door.
I'll see what I can do, I've got some other unrelated questions, My speedo doesn't work and neither does the fuel gauge, What could that be? I dont't think the cluster is dead (Guage for the temp works when ever the car is at 20 billion degrees)