Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

1993 VP Interior Light Stays On

JacobD_10

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec. SII Manual
Ok.. so i pulled out the little T5 bulb just above my key barell today and replaced it with an LED in the process i accidently shorted it twice (arrghh) and blew the fuse twice .. after that i had it all working but went for a drive and realised that my interior light would not turn off... i thought that maybe the interior light delay ran from the impedance of the T5 bulb so put the bulb back in and still wont work..
checked the dorr switches and they are fine?
The only thing i can think of is that ive melted a wire and shorted it to earth ? but surely the fuse would have blown first? thats what its made for...
no the interior light switch is not on either haha...
any thoughts? how does the dome light delay work? capacitor?

please help !

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
you might have shorted an earth wire to ground ie on the door switch side of the bulb. When I got my VN the interior bulb and fuse were missing and upon replacing them the light was on all the time. I traced it back to the wire that goes to the door switches being shorted to ground. You can unplug it under the dash from memory to disconnect one side of the car from the other and fault find back. Mine was fixed by giving the wire, I think it is white, a bit of a jiggle, fixed it so I never bothered to find the damaged bt and tape it up and it never gave me a problem for 10 years after that.

JacobD_10

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec. SII Manual
hmmm thanks... i think thats what it is too but i wouldnt have thought that the fuse would be rated higher than the melting point of the wire .. ahhh well...
i think that is a good idea disconecting from behind the dash switch and testing each wire to see which one is earthing... (assuming you mean dash 'switch' and assuming it splits all four doors wires)...
good idea nether the less.
i'll test it when i can.. probs tomorrow.. and let you know
in the meantime any other ideas are welcome.

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
If you "short" an earth wire to ground there won't be a short circuit as the load ie the bulb is in circuit.