Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

1993 VR Holden V6 Commodore - rev problems

screamer

Reaction score
Members Ride
1993 VR Holden Commodore
My son has a 1993 VR V6 Holden which was converted from an auto transmission to a manual a couple of years ago. It also has a reconditioned motor put it.

He is experiencing revving problems - at times it revs very high and other times very low where it stalls.

He has replaced the computer box, spark plugs and leads. He has had a couple of mechanics look at it to no avail.

Does anyone know how to fix the rev problems?

cheers

The1

A Memcal a Day Keeps..
Reaction score
Website
www.eyeit.org
Members Ride
VS V6 Berlina Auto
has the IAC been checked and throttle body cleaned out? was there any work done on the memcal and computer / loom in the conversion?

Bizmark

Reaction score
Members Ride
93' Pov-Pac
Does the revving issue occur in idle? If so then its likely a throttle body related issue, as the above poster said, having a look at the IAC valve and cleaning the TB would be a good idea.

screamer

Reaction score
Members Ride
1993 VR Holden Commodore
Rev Problems - thanks to Bizmark & The1- Good Mechanic somewhere??

Thanks to The1 and Bizmark for your possible solutions to the rev problems in the VR Commodore. Interesting that you both identified the Throttle Body as a possible cause. l had a look at my son's VR when he came home last night and yes when he turned the motor on it revved slowly at first and then extremely high a minute later for a little while and then back down again - weird.

Does anyone know a good mechanic around Werribee or the Melb Western Suburbs who knows a bit about the VR Commodore to fix this problem and work on a couple of other things - preferably not Holden - they're a ripoff?

cheers

HSVGTS E2

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 HOLDEN GTS E2
Im not sure about the good mechanic issue coz i live in the south eastern suburbs but my vr had a similar problem once and took it to the mechanic around the corner and they took the throttle body off and cleand it out and it work perfect. But it seems to be the throttle body or the IAC valve. As u have replaced most of the other parts on it or possibly could be a loom problem or the computer... Try taking it to a mechanic that deals with holdens all the time...( not a dealership of course )... who knows they might have a mechanic who had a vr and had the same problem resolved. Try going around to different places and see what they say before u get it fixed. :)

nissanman

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr executive manual
hows it guys mine wasdoing the same

Thanks to The1 and Bizmark for your possible solutions to the rev problems in the VR Commodore. Interesting that you both identified the Throttle Body as a possible cause. l had a look at my son's VR when he came home last night and yes when he turned the motor on it revved slowly at first and then extremely high a minute later for a little while and then back down again - weird.

Does anyone know a good mechanic around Werribee or the Melb Western Suburbs who knows a bit about the VR Commodore to fix this problem and work on a couple of other things - preferably not Holden - they're a ripoff?

cheers

mine was doing the same till this arvo now cant rev it at all and missing like hell, any ideas please?