Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

1995 Holden Barina Swing, S on dash?

Xpression6

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 Holden Barina Swing 1.4 Auto
Hi there,

Just bought a 95 Barina for my girlfriends first car, when i got it home I noticed it had a S symbol on the dash that is circled in a sun, does anyone know what this is at all?

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
From memory......
A. Is there a 'S' on top of the auto shift lever, which is for changing the shift pattern in the box, raising the RPM shift points and cuts out overdrive.
B. There could be an unmarked button somewhere for 'Snow' mode, which is a sort of traction control, limits RPM and first > second gear shift.
C. If manual, possibly disregard A and/or B.

Xpression6

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 Holden Barina Swing 1.4 Auto
From memory......
A. Is there a 'S' on top of the auto shift lever, which is for changing the shift pattern in the box, raising the RPM shift points and cuts out overdrive.
B. There could be an unmarked button somewhere for 'Snow' mode, which is a sort of traction control, limits RPM and first > second gear shift.
C. If manual, possibly disregard A and/or B.

I've looked through the owners manual that came with the car, it says its a "Sporty Shift" mode. I've tried to press the small button on the top of the auto shift lever to see if it changes, but it remains on.

I haven't had much luck finding any more information on the car, apart from paying $50 for a Haynes manual. I drove the car later this afternoon and if you put any more than toe pressure on the pedal, it'll kick down a gear and rev its guts out.

Would there be a chance of maybe a sensor on the gearbox being dirty that could cause it to be doing that?

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Vauxhall Corsa sports mode dashboard light
Vauxhall Corsa sport mode activated dashboard light

As per my reply 'A' above ..................... if it is stuck in that mode, it will drive like you described.
Pending problem ? Fix ? Sorry, don't know.
Opel Corsas (Barinas) had very revvy engine, good performance, spoiled by a many electrical gremlins that Holden could never find.
"There are no codes, mate, but we replaced the Flux Capacitor. If that doesn't fix it, it will be the Energy Polarizer. So that comes to $1,234 today. Tah. "

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
Vauxhall Corsa sports mode dashboard light
Vauxhall Corsa sport mode activated dashboard light

As per my reply 'A' above ..................... if it is stuck in that mode, it will drive like you described.
Pending problem ? Fix ? Sorry, don't know.
Opel Corsas (Barinas) had very revvy engine, good performance, spoiled by a many electrical gremlins that Holden could never find.
"There are no codes, mate, but we replaced the Flux Capacitor. If that doesn't fix it, it will be the Energy Polarizer. So that comes to $1,234 today. Tah. "
Don’t forget the twin acker macker valve!