Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

1995 VS commodore girks and splutters under low accerleration but not high acc..

dubknight

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 vs commodore
Need help
i recently done my big end bearing. so i ripped that motor out and replaced it with a spare motor my mate had. the motor idles great and takes of great but after awhile it splutters and girks if i put a little pressure on the acceleration but if i put the throttle down hard it doesnt untill i hit a god size hill that puts strain on the car.
Im thinking that i need to replace the spark plugs and leads. but i have left the original computer in my vs but i do have the other computer for my mates car the only reason i never swapped that aswell was because his car was manual and mines auto.
need help as i hate having a car there that i cant drive.
if you need to know more ask me but any help will greatly appriciated..

Vee-ard

QuickVR95II 2010 Survivor
Reaction score
Members Ride
Foam Tuned VR 5.0l Ute
You shouldnt swap a manual ecu for an auto car, it wont run properly. It would start, but the tranny would be stuck in limp home mode.

Replace the plugs and leads first, but then I would guess something is up with the fuel supply if it only struggles under load.

dubknight

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 vs commodore
i was thinking that swapping the computer would do that but thought it might of been worth a try.. but now i just remembered that the old motor occasionally use to splutter a little so it might be a blocked fuel filter or something along the line. I was wondering i have been told the ecu resets itself when it is unplugged, is that true?

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Yeah,disconnecting the power to the ECU will reset it.

dubknight

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 vs commodore
cheers man ill try the fuel filter if the plugs and sparks dont fix it..

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
after replacing those parts above if the problem is not fixed i'd definitely check the coils. Low down acceleration was where i first noticed the dud coil on my ecotec.
Can you try swapping coils off your old motor ?

dubknight

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 vs commodore
yeah i can try and swap the coils. i just checked the spark plugs and the 3 on the left side look like there firing but not sparking petrol. im going to do a diagnostic check in the morning see if that brings up anything..

VRCalaisVR

That's what she said
Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 VSIII Statesman
Not sure if this helps but it sounds like a similar problem I had driving back from qld...if I floored it I had no problem but light to med accelleration was spluttering and it idled fine. The problem with mine was that one of my coil packs needed replacing. Having said that it was from a VR and not a vs.
Hope this helps.

vs commo

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
id got with spark plugs and leads i had this problem with my vt and fixed it up no dramas