Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

1995 VS engine whine

dwerbnok

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS executive S1
hi
i have a 1995 vs series 1 3.8 with a T5 manual in it, the car makes a whining noise at all times when the car is moving, to me its coming from the gearbox/clutch area. because it makes the same noise no matter what gear im in and coz the clutches biting point is way out im thinking its the thrust bearing coz the clutch is old and worn, it doesnt slip or anything but yeah to me thats what im thinking. but before i go ahead and change the clutch when it still works i just wanna see if anyone else has had this issue?
cheers

Luc

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Does it do it in neutral when stationary......does it do it when stationary and clutch depressed.....does it do it rolling in neutral....does it do it in reverse.....does it change tone the faster the engine goes.?

dwerbnok

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS executive S1
no whine in neutral, neither when the clutch is depressed it does do it rolling in neutral and the reverse gear itself whines and the whines tone gets higher with the engine revs.
cheers

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Have you checked the gearbox oil level.Most T5's use dexron type auto transmission fluid instead of gear oil for their lubrication.I have a VS workshop manual and it states that the T5 uses 2.05 litres of dexron auto trans fluid with 150 mls of lubrizol 7906.But in the VP workshop manual I have, it says the T5 uses 2.05 litres of shell gear oil XGO 75/90,so make sure to check what type of oil has been used in it before topping it up, thats if it needs it of course.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
It could be the front uni dry (and ready to snap).....doesn't sound like the thrust bearing as it doesn't do it in neutral. If not uni, then as Brett suggests with oil or you have a bearing going in the box.

Zarconia

Outrageous Fondler
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 R8 Maloo
Yeah mines the same but i know for a fact my clutch is gone. Only does it under throttle and changing down gears

dwerbnok

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS executive S1
Well on second thoughs I just listened to the sound and it does whine in neutral just not very loud. I'm also sure my clutch is on the way out. Here's hoping its the thrust and not gearbox problems