Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

1996 VS commodore, 2500rpm idle

B3ND3R

Reaction score
hi guys,
driving around last night, stopped the engine, started 5 mins later and idle was sitting at 2500rpm.

after driving 5-10 mins it settled down, but the after it was stopped and started it idled at 2500rpm

i disconnected the battery last night, restarted it cold this morning and was ok, drove round and got it hot. as soon as i stopped it, let it sit for 30 secs, then started, idle is back up to 2500 rpm.

the only thing done recenlt was a coolant flush, but i have tripple checkd and there is no air in the system.

i am a bit stumped, any input would be greatly appreciated, i am hoping it is just a bung MAF sensor or idle air valve...

please help!

B3ND3R

Reaction score
no one can help?
i wanna try a few things before work tomorrow... any ideas at all?

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
check error codes. could be IAC, TPS, vacuum leak, or for some reason it is idling at the COLD temp startup setting.

B3ND3R

Reaction score
which pins are bridged in VS for error code readout?
is it likely to be anything do do with the coolant? or more likely that water got into a plug?

Vee-ard

QuickVR95II 2010 Survivor
Reaction score
Members Ride
Foam Tuned VR 5.0l Ute
Pin 5 and 6 like every other one

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS
Possibly a spark plug lead is getting hot and losing resistance, same as when a lead is not connected it will idle higher, so first check that there all connected properly, beyond that IAC is a most likey culperate.