Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

1996 VS Commodore V6 Misfire?

Changa

Alex Short
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive
Hey guys,
On occasion my VS seems to lose like 300-400 rev then recovers again. Its almost as if its going to stall but then recovers. Happens whenever, like can happen when im driving or just sitting idling. Sometimes happens multiple times in a trip or only once. Nothing seems to trigger it like revving or anything, seems to happen at random. Have checked the leads and ignitions coils with a multimetre. Dont know how to check the DFI module, and unsure on the Crank Angle sensor, as I have been told these might cause this problem. Is there anyway to check the DFI module? Or you just replace it? They are expensive thats all and I dont want to replace it if its unnecessary. Havent pulled the plugs out, but they were replaced wiht the leads which would be barley 3000kms ago. My transmission has pretty much had it as the Torque clutch converter no longer locks up properly but I dont think this could be related as the misfire also occurs sitting in neutral idling.

Also another thing to add is when it does misfire and drop revs the engine light flicks on for like half a second and then its gone again. So yeah dont know if that clarifies anything or not.

Thanks in advance guys,
Alex Short

Last edited:

-ToM-

Bow Down to the Emperor!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Exec [EMPIR3]
try getting some carby cleaner and going over your throttle body and IAC. I had a similar problem, which was caused by the gunk in the throttlebody

Chris E

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Executive 3.8
Edit: Sorry man only read half your post :s

Your best bet would be to run the error codes or take it to a mechanic and ask their opinion. I don't think its a problem with the gearbox I've gone through four transmissions it never affects the engine.

Changa

Alex Short
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive
It did come up with an error code 46 but that was because I hadnt connected the battery terminal tight enough and it was losing the circuit lol, hence causing ignition problems, but this is different.

JA2Z

Reaction score
Website
www.studiomarban.com
Members Ride
VT 5L, WH LS1 Stato (Daily), TDCi Focus, Probe V6
Question:

does this rev drop occur when your fan engages? if so, maybe your alternator is not too healthy and just as the fan starts your Computer might not getting enough juice and cutting out for a split second?

Cheers,

Changa

Alex Short
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive
Im not sure coz the fan doesnt automatically turn on unless the engine gets to a certain temp. But Im fairly sure it cant be your suggestion, if the alternator was screwed then when the fan turned on and the computer cuts out, wouldnt like everything turn off, like the stereo and lights and such? Plus this problem occurs at anytime like just when you start it up when its cold, so the fan wouldnt be on then.

Last edited by a moderator:

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
dfi modules have been on ebay brandnew for $57 bucks