Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

1996 VS Sedan V6 - Fuel Pump not Priming

Nessie1996

Joel Ryan
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Lexcen - Buick 3.8L
Car: 1996 Holden Commodore Executive II - 3.8L Ecotec V6 NA - 4L60E Auto Trans - has AC - not ABS

Hey guys, I'm just creating this thread so that when I fix it I can let you know what the fox went wrong.

So here's what's up:
- Cranks; does NOT start.
- New Fuel Pump; NOT priming.
- Bridged FP Relay; NOT priming..
- 15A FP Fuse checked/replaced; wasn't broken.
- Plenty of fuel in tank
- Thumped fuel tank while cranking (when I had old pump); car started and ran for a while until I turned it off. Did NOT start again.

My thoughts are that there is faulty wiring in the rear end of the car.
The fact that the car started when I hit the fuel tank made me think that it was the Fuel Pump (like by hitting the tank I'd made some elements contact and hold until I turned off car). The same rule could apply to wiring though, by hitting the tank some wiring could connect and turn on the fuel pump. Again, I don't actally know what the F is going on so yeah... I'll post once I've fleshed it out.

Feel free to post Advice / Similar Experiences / all that good stuff. Cheers!

Nessie1996

Joel Ryan
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Lexcen - Buick 3.8L
Alrighty, problem solved.

- Tested old pump with 12v power; was dead.
- Tested new pump with 12v power; was fine.
- Pulled new pump out; CONNECTOR FROM SENDER TO PUMP (located at top of pump) was worn out and not actually "clicking" onto the pump.
- Cable Tied the clip into position; works fine.

Moral of story; Check the condition of clips and connectors on sender unit before installing new pump. Almost gave me a hernia fixing this one! Good luck fellas!

Majere

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore
i'm actually having this issue right now, the pump wont prime/has no power and i currently don't have access to a lot of testing equipment, is there a way to test these the macgyver way??