Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

1997 VS Esteem Wagon (Rihanna)

seraphic06

Woodgrain Nut
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina Wagon, VS Caprice Series II 5.0
1997 VS Esteem Wagon (Calais SII Interior)

Name: Gary (the car has been named Rihanna)

Model: 1997 VS Esteem Series II Station Wagon

Colour: Panther Mica

Bodykit: Stock

Exterior: Dust Deflector, VS Calais Chrome and Fluted Grills, Black Alteeza Tailights, VX Clear Side Repeaters, Narva Driving Lights, Bonnet Protector, Headlight Protectors, Slimline Weather Shield (Drivers), VS Berlina Station Wagon Tailgate Mould.

Engine Type: Ecotec 3800

Kms: When purchased 184,500. Now 216,XXX.

Engine Mods: Cold Air Intake, K&N High-Flow Panel Filter, Strut Brace, Alien vs Predator airbrushed engine cover.

Power: (in theory) 147kw

Exhaust: 2.5" cat back with chrome tip

Gearbox: 4L60E 4 Speed Automatic (reconditioned at 197,000 km)

Diff: Stock

Brakes: Stock (overhauled at 216,000 km)

Suspension: Stock (Rears replaced at 215,000 with Monroe GT Gas)

Wheels/Tyres: 15" VS Esteem Wheels, Bridgestone ER592 Turanza Tyres

Interior: VS Calais Series II Woodgrain Console, Stereo Surround, Strip Set and Door Trims, Woodgrain Dash Fascia Surround, Dash Mat, Genuine Floor Mats, VS Statesman Velour Sunvisors, VS Statesman Series III Armrest with Cup Holders (I modded it further by adding an accessory/cigarette lighter outlet and console light), Leather Steering Wheel with VY Lion badge, Leather Brake Grip, Leather Gear Selector Knob, Level 3 Dash Cluster/Trip Computer with custom HSV gauge fascia, Cargo Barrier, Carpeted Kick Panels, VS Calais Interior Light (with Courtesy Lights), VS Statesman Rear Courtesy Lights, WK Caprice Interior Light/Sunglasses Holder, Neons in Front Footwells (activated by door), Neon in Sunglasses Pocket, Neon under Centre Console near the Rear Vents (both activated by headlight switch), VS Statesman Analogue Clock, VS Calais SII "Norfolk" Leather/Velour Seats, VS Statesman Chrome Interior Handles, VS Statesman Chrome Interior Window Strips, VY SS Foot Pedals, VE Sportswagon Cargo Net.

Other Mods: - Cruise Control, Midnight Express Tinting, Power Windows, Electric Antenna, Calais Double Horns.

Stereo: Pioneer DEH-P3000IB Radio/CD/MP3/WMA/AAC/iPod compatible Head Unit, Pioneer TS-A1682s 280w speakers (front), Pioneer TS-G1642R 180w speakers (Rear), Pioneer CD-SR100 Steering Wheel Remote

Security: Alarm, Central Locking, Immobiliser, Keyless Entry

Build Date: May 1997

Future Mods: New Headlining. Full leather front seats. If I find a set of alloys that I like for the right price, they might go on as well. VS Berlina/Acclaim Rear Seat Backrest with Head Restraints.

Well I have decided to post my ride. I have owned her since around August 2008. I own my own gardening business so I needed something to replace my rapidly dying Rodeo rather soon, and after looking at countless Alaskan White Wagons, this one found me. I loved the fact she was a different colour to what I was looking at and the fact that it had impeccable log book servicing.

I have since decked her out in VS Calais Series II interior to give it a more refined look and feel.

The Panasonic stereo that was installed I found to be too bright at night, and plus the fact that I am a Pioneer fan, it was soon replaced with a Pioneer head unit and speakers.

The original steering wheel was replaced with a leather one which was modded to fit the badge from a VY wheel. Leather handbrake grip and the gear selector knob have been fitted.

The interior light was replaced with the one with courtesy map reading lamps, and Statesman courtesy lights were installed in the back. Recently I have also installed the interior light/sunglasses holder from a WK Caprice. Neons have been installed in the footwells and are activated by the doors. Another neon was installed into the sunglasses pocket underneath the head unit and connected to that one is another neon that is installed underneath the centre console where the rear vents are. Those are activated by the headlight switch.

No mods have been made to the engine. I installed a CAI with a K&N High-Flow panel. A strut brace has also been fitted.

On the exterior, after a lengthy search I found a Dust Deflector. It a non-genuine fibreglass one. With the help of a friend we prepared and painted it. It was tricky to fit. Because I make trips to the country, the front bonnet and headlights have been fittted with protectors. A weather shield was also fitted.

I may purchase larger wheels down the track but that probably won't happen until my current tyres wear down. I was thinking VT Internationals or VS Senator? Any thoughts?

Attachments

• DSC_8339.jpg
    DSC_8339.jpg
    298.8 KB · Views: 1,356
  • DSC_8338.jpg
    DSC_8338.jpg
    294.1 KB · Views: 807
  • DSC_8342.jpg
    DSC_8342.jpg
    252.5 KB · Views: 949
  • DSC_8341.jpg
    DSC_8341.jpg
    298.7 KB · Views: 1,019
  • DSC_8349.jpg
    DSC_8349.jpg
    312.3 KB · Views: 1,030
  • DSC_8347.jpg
    DSC_8347.jpg
    329.5 KB · Views: 758
  • DSC_8346.jpg
    DSC_8346.jpg
    230 KB · Views: 891
  • DSC_8345.jpg
    DSC_8345.jpg
    261 KB · Views: 830
  • RIhanna 04.jpg
    RIhanna 04.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 1,367
  • Rihanna Interior 03.jpg
    Rihanna Interior 03.jpg
    235.3 KB · Views: 6,732
  • Rihanna and Trailer 14-01-2009.jpg
    Rihanna and Trailer 14-01-2009.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 1,415
  • Rihanna and Trailer 14-01-2009 02.jpg
    Rihanna and Trailer 14-01-2009 02.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 902
  • RihannaInterior01.jpg
    RihannaInterior01.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 1,568
  • RihannaInterior04.jpg
    RihannaInterior04.jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 882
  • Rihanna Interior 02.jpg
    Rihanna Interior 02.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 1,092
Last edited:

seraphic06

Woodgrain Nut
Reaction score
Members Ride
I relaise the bonnet protector makes it look a bit granpaish, but I do travel on dirt roads and I want to protect the duco as much as possible.

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
Seen ya about half hour ago, looks ****in awesome! (and i'm the biggest hater of those gay lights, but you pulled it off)

You should look at getting a tailgate mould off a berlina!

seraphic06

Woodgrain Nut
Reaction score
Members Ride
Seen ya about half hour ago, looks ****in awesome! (and i'm the biggest hater of those gay lights, but you pulled it off)

You should look at getting a tailgate mould off a berlina!

Don't talk to me about those effing lights. I went for a cruise in the hills late last week, went through some road works and heard a stone hit the front of the car that came off the person in front off me. I didn't take any real notice until yesterday. It had smashed the passenger side lens :bang: It sill works but now I will probably go back to plan "A" and install genuine lights. I have the bezels but I really don't feel like cutting into my front bar.

Thanks for your comments by the way. Much appreciated. I didn't realise the Berlina's mould was different. I have been toying with the idea of getting the one on the tailgate sprayed the same colour as I hate the bloody thing.

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
I ment the rear lights btw, i was about 3 cars back from you, so didn't see the front!

I'm selling a set of genuine spotties if you change your mind ;)

This is a pic of the VP mould, VS is similar, just a little thinner

seraphic06

Woodgrain Nut
Reaction score
Members Ride
I ment the rear lights btw, i was about 3 cars back from you, so didn't see the front!

I'm selling a set of genuine spotties if you change your mind ;)

This is a pic of the VP mould, VS is similar, just a little thinner

Ahh, I see what you mean - I thought you meant the tailgate finisher. I have never actually seen one before (but then I don't think I have really taken any notice).

Don't you worry, I have your spotties in the back of my mind. If work would stop messing me around I would be in a better position to buy them.

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Haha no probs.

I didn't know they made them for VR/S either until i noticed a few Berlina wagons, and all had them (saw one VR and 2 VS Berlina wagons in the space of a week)

CW3.jpg

seraphic06

Woodgrain Nut
Reaction score
Members Ride
That doesn't look too bad. I think it would look nice with the Panther Mica. Now to find one...

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Try holden, they might still have them!