Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

1998 Holden Commodore VT series 1 3.8L v6 No Spark Cranks But will not start

happileej

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 VT
I was driving around town and the car started to stumble and stall then it finally stalled one last time and hasn't started since, I tried to retrieve the fault codes by earthing pins 5 & 6 but the engine light just stays solid, I have also connected a usb data cable to my laptop and run efi live v4 to check for codes but it is not recording any codes, I have replaced the DFI module and tested the resistance of all the coils (they read at the required resistance) The next thing I am thinking of replacing is the PCM (powertrain control module) I am just worried that I am going to waist more time and money replacing the wrong things. What else could be causing a no spark situation? Please help I am at my wits end.

Thanks

Claudy

French Com
Reaction score
Members Ride
Manual Gen3 VT SS + V6 VT manual turbo
What bout fuel pump?

2DIE

ONEDOLLAHOLLA
Reaction score
Website
www.torn.com
Members Ride
97 Acclaim
I was stumped years ago when one of my cars had a error code that isnt in the books, the car was stalling and half the time not even starting. Ended up just leaving it in the shed and walking everywhere cos it got so bad.

Ended up being the ECU that **** its self. No error code for that.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Id definitely try another ECU.You will need to get the ECU linked to the BCM (Body Control Module) with a tech 2 scantool.This can make the swapping over of the ECU's to see if its faulty,very expensive, as holden who mostly has the tech 2, charges anywhere from $40 up to $80 or more to do this..Im not sure if theres a way around it either so you can just test it..Some auto electrical places have these scantools too,so its worth calling around a heap of them places and going to the cheapest one..Even some holden dealer price differences can be huge,so try a few different ones of them as well.

graham7773

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim Wagon
Have you checked the harness connection into the base of the coil pack? They corrode or come loose = no spark. Even bent pins in them can cause this

lufkin

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Manual LS1 Statesman & VT V6 Calais
something as simple as engine fuse could do that

happileej

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 VT
I was driving around town and the car started to stumble and stall then it finally stalled one last time and hasn't started since, I tried to retrieve the fault codes by earthing pins 5 & 6 but the engine light just stays solid, I have also connected a usb data cable to my laptop and run efi live v4 to check for codes but it is not recording any codes, I have replaced the DFI module and tested the resistance of all the coils (they read at the required resistance) The next thing I am thinking of replacing is the PCM (powertrain control module) I am just worried that I am going to waist more time and money replacing the wrong things. What else could be causing a no spark situation? Please help I am at my wits end.

Thanks

Problem Solved!!! "Hallelujah"
It turns out it was just a damaged wire that runs from the crank angle censor to the dfi module took me about 5 minuts to fix.
Unbelievable the car has been sitting there for over a month just for something so stupid, thanks for all thew help anyway.