Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

1998 vt commodore long start up time

Marty1998

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt berlina
Just recently bought a 1998 vt commodore (first car) it has a problem where staring the car can take about 4 seconds before the engine turns over. Starter motor is clicking fast and working good but it just takes a while to turn the engine over, if I hold the ignition for a second or 2 then turn it back off then try and start the car it turns on instantly, and when I drive the car for a while and start it up shortly after I turn it off, it starts up straight away. I've been practicing on it since it's had a couple problems when I bought it, I've replaced the spark plugs, fuel filter, and starter motor. Any ideas on what I should attempt to fix next or if I need to take it to a mechanic? I want to get this done as urgently as I can since I don't think it's too healthy for the starter motor to be working that hard. I've had a look at the coils and the middle and right 2 seem to be working good there is a strong spark between them, although the left 2 look a lot weaker and the spark is thinner and doesnt look anywhere near as strong. Could that also be an issue?

Marty1998

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt berlina
This is the difference between the 2 as far as the strength of the spark

Attachments

• IMG_0344.jpg
    IMG_0344.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_0347.jpg
    IMG_0347.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 70
D

devilly

do the hold mode and up button on start up then release once started get into the menu and you will see volts. this way you can see what's going on with it. common problems are back of alternator nuts coming loose and arching out, start motor nut coming loose, battery connectors loose, earth wires and ignition barrel. do the old dark night and check for any blue flashes to see if anything shows up.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
i would suspect the fuel pressure is bleeding down
next start try turning to reds for 5 seconds
then turn off and restart

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
from what you've described, the fuel reg is shot and not holding pressure long term. This is why it fires up if you prime it a few times and it works on short trips.