Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

1998 vt commodore PS high pressure hose

Commy_fan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim 1998
The flare nut on the rack is too tight and not much leverage can be applied to the spanner in the restricted space. Can anyone shed some light on how to do it?

Commy_fan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim 1998
I ended up to remove the tie rod ends and the retaining bolts for the rack. I then pulled back (towards the engine and away from the K frame) the rack to have more space to access the 16mm flare nut of the high pressure hose. The 16mm open spanner could not loosen the seized nut. I then used a metal pipe to extend the spanner and put on more torque onto the nut, which was a successful move. The torque was huge as there was a loud bang while the seized nut was loosened.
The access to the nut connecting to the pump is also restricted by the heater hose which needs to be removed. The metal pipe was also used for this seized nut but it was successful. These nuts were seized after long period of time, 22 years also.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Make sure you give the nut a good squirt with WD40 (or equivalent) a few times giving it 10-15 minutes between squirts before you try and loosen it again. Sometimes works.

Commy_fan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim 1998
Make sure you give the nut a good squirt with WD40 (or equivalent) a few times giving it 10-15 minutes between squirts before you try and loosen it again. Sometimes works.
I always use WD-40 penetrate fluid to loosen up a bit before carrying out the torque. I was careful not to round the nuts or bolts. I don’t have an impact wrench and this is how I do it.

YEA.355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 355, VP BERLINA, KENWORTH 408
I had this problem on my ss
It's a **** of a spot to get to the nut
I had to turn the nut 1mm at a time untill it was off
And then the same to out it back on
Just use a bit of muscle to crack it and should be fine after that

Commy_fan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim 1998
You were lucky you could remove the nut. However, there is an advantage trying to remove the rack at the same time, as it will leak and require replacement at some time. Anyway, one problem solved and the steering is much smoother now.