Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

1998 vt exec auto gearbox troubles

mr little

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 vt commodore
hi all,
my car has nearly 300,000km on the odo and im starting to have a bit of trouble with my gearbox, whenever i pull out of a corner and give it a little bootfull the engine revs up but it doesnt transfer to my wheels, it feels like something is slipping, unlike when i first got it, the back would bog down and itd take off, any ideas?

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Does the trans get a regular service? You can change the trans filter and fluid easily enough yourself if you have car stands, or better still, a set of car ramps. You can buy a trans filter kit for around $25 from most auto places, and 5 litres of dexron 3 trans fluid for around $30-$40 or so.

som

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt executive
As above. Check the colour of your transmission fluid,shoulld be a nice pinky red,and smell it to see if it smells burnt. Also check your fluid level and if anything doesn't seem 100% service the auto but there is a very big possibility that you're due for a set of plugs and leads ( Genuine ) and slightly less chance that you may need a set of coils or a coil pack.ie 3 coils and the D.F.I.module. You can get the coil pack and leads and plugs off ebay ( all genuine GMH ) for less than $350.Good luck.

mr little

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 vt commodore
hi, oil seemed alright last time i checked it (week or so ago) plenty of oil aswell, ill do a service on it soon aswell to be sure, coild have alot of spark, dad zapped himself pre good haha, but yeah ill probs try new leads, plugs and auto service, then ill update youse on how it goes then

mr little

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 vt commodore
also, cant get my car on stands, has vx clubsport body kit, found that out the hard way trying to do an engine change

som

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt executive
get (buy) 4 pieces of 6x2 timber,each about 45cm long,sit them in front of your wheels,drive onto them and then use your jack/stands etc An old sleeper cut into the required pieces is perfect.Lowered cars have been around for a long time.The sizes I have suggested might not be exactly right for your car but you get the idea.

mr little

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 vt commodore
oops my bad, meant to say ramps not stands :/ but yeah, all i do is jack it up and chuck it on floor stands, its the easiest way