Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

1998 VT v6 only firing on 4 cylinders

greg130

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt
Hi Guys,

Need a bit of advice please.
Looking at buying a 1998 VT v6, done approx 300,000 km's, seems in good condition but only firing on 4 cylinders.

No spark from the passenger side coil (1+4?), owner says he has changed plugs, leads and coil.
He suspects the CAS? If this was the case would it just affect one of the coils or all coils?
I'm hoping its the DFI but could do with some guidance.

All input welcome guys :)

Cheers

greg130

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt
Update, apparently not the DFI as this has been changed.
Would a faulty CAS cause the lack of spark on 1 coil?

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Tried swapping the bad coil for one of the others and seeing if the non-firing cylinders change?

SBM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 5Spd
Try it yourself just incase. I never go by what someone has apparently done. I'd also check the wiring plug on the DFI I've seen a few with a bent pin causing all sorts off troubles.

greg130

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt
Easier said tha ndone guys, can't really start stripping someone elses car down.

I have no reason to disbelive him, he has replaced the DFI, coils, plugs and leads, infact he showed me all the old stuff.

So the question is can a faulty CAS cause one of the coils not to spark?

Hangman

Aspiring Sociopath
Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Land Yacht
From experience, I would say no, it just makes it crank but not fire, mostly when hot. That's not to say it can't happen, I'm not a mechanic.

I'd still check the coil packs. New stuff can be faulty.

And if this is all on a car your looking at buying, the price should be adjusted accordingly. I know I wouldn't buy a car based on how it should run instead of how it does...

greg130

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt
Thats my conern, if the CAS is faulty then would it stop all the coils from firing? If its not the CAS then what is it?

Yeah the car is priced accordingly, 2k asking price, think we might give it a miss as I fear there is more wrong with it than meets the eye?

Cameron P

Reaction score
Members Ride
REDHOT VX SS
move the coils around and use plyers with rubber handles and pull the leads off... should tell you what is wrong with it exactly