Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

1998 VT XU6 [Build 53/321] - Currently Broken :(

Mick1988

W.A. Cruise Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.sarichtechnology.com
Members Ride
Too many to list......
Hi guys after my love for my Supercharged V6 VT SS continued to grow I came upon a VT XU6 which needs some love to get it back to it's former glory. The previous owner obviously ran the car up a curb which resulted in it being written off by their insurance. I picked the car up as is from a damaged vehicle auction and my plan is to repair it and have it relicensed. Car is completely original apart from an aftermarket head unit and rims. I will be seeking a stock VT stereo (as fitted to the XU6 from factory) and some HSV rims down the track.

As you can see in the photos the damage is limited to the front left suspension, the front left guard and a small scrape on the left side of the rear bar. I also have to have new glass fitted to the sunroof. Also note the bonnet is popped open in the pictures it does sit flush and level where it should.

IMAG0290.jpg

IMAG0291.jpg

IMAG0292.jpg

IMAG0293.jpg

IMAG0294.jpg

IMAG0295.jpg

IMAG0296.jpg

IMAG0297.jpg

IMAG0298.jpg

IMAG0299.jpg

IMAG0300.jpg

IMAG0301.jpg

IMAG0302.jpg

IMAG0303.jpg

IMAG0304.jpg

IMAG0305.jpg

IMAG0306.jpg

IMAG0307.jpg

IMAG0308.jpg

YMY-70Y

Need more powwwaaahhh
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY sII S and VT sII S
Looks good mate, I wish i could find one as a wreck.

I have a stock vx series 1 head unit your welcome to?

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
bugger u finally get a wreck in my colour and u decide 2 keep it hahaha dam u :p looks good tho man i can see where my kit was interbred with ;) haha, wat do u pick these wrecks up 4?

Mick1988

W.A. Cruise Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.sarichtechnology.com
Members Ride
Too many to list......
Looks good mate, I wish i could find one as a wreck.

I have a stock vx series 1 head unit your welcome to?

I actually went to the auction to bid on a VY Executive but when I got there it was trashed I just happened to walk past this I only look under Holden in the list not Holden Special Vehicles. Was just luck I guess but will be very cheap to finish and get on the road as I have all the parts.

How much would you want for the head unit and do you have the Pin code for it?

bugger u finally get a wreck in my colour and u decide 2 keep it hahaha dam u :p looks good tho man i can see where my kit was interbred with ;) haha, wat do u pick these wrecks up 4?

haha I'd feel like a criminal stripping this for parts mate although I know the airbag alone is like $300 it's slightly tempting lol. I have a B168 VT Calais sedan with 4 good doors with the chrome trolley strips on them if you're still after doors. Worked out good as I still have the passenger guard to use on the XU6. I also already have all the front suspension gear off a VX to go onto it steering rack, struts, control arms, radius rods so won't cost me anything for parts just new suspension bushes.

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
i might just get in contact with u soon regarding doors man the word chrome scares me a bit on them u might have 2 show me how 2 remove em :p haha, is the car in balcatta or in the valley? have just bought myself and the misus's an unlicenced Gem 2 try get on the road n sell so strapped 4 room and spare cash atm haha. tho if u decide 2 strip could b interested in the running gear.

Mick1988

W.A. Cruise Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.sarichtechnology.com
Members Ride
Too many to list......
The car is at my house in Bunbury but can bring the doors up to you. I can remove the strips (always handy strips to have laying around) but you would need to clean off the excess glue with some eucalyptus oil.

Highly doubt I'll be stripping it as I say I feel things like this should always be repaired where it is economical to do so.

YMY-70Y

Need more powwwaaahhh
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY sII S and VT sII S
I actually went to the auction to bid on a VY Executive but when I got there it was trashed I just happened to walk past this I only look under Holden in the list not Holden Special Vehicles. Was just luck I guess but will be very cheap to finish and get on the road as I have all the parts.

How much would you want for the head unit and do you have the Pin code for it?

You can have it, ill check if i have the code...... im on holidays atm but gimme a cople weeks

1dvsbstd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 SERIES II 2016
Very nice car mick.. Very impressed man

;) i might have a vx xu6/clubsport faker..
but ild still take you to the drags:p

Mick1988

W.A. Cruise Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.sarichtechnology.com
Members Ride
Too many to list......
You can have it, ill check if i have the code...... im on holidays atm but gimme a cople weeks

No rush mate, I appreciate that. Car is on stands now getting the suspension removed for fitting of new parts. K-frame has torn in one section so will need to utilize the engine crane will probably be easier than replacing steering rack individually anyway.

Very nice car mick.. Very impressed man

;) i might have a vx xu6/clubsport faker..
but ild still take you to the drags:p

haha mate when the VT SS is built I shall take you on. What I am having done to that will be very unique and make it a very quick car. The XU6 won't be getting raced or doing burnouts it's going to be a cruise car that comes out on weekends for a run. XU6 will get 10PSI pullet, 1.98:1 rockers and maybe 3.9s in the diff, all simple **** that doesn't affect it's originality.

Mick1988

W.A. Cruise Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.sarichtechnology.com
Members Ride
Too many to list......
So a bit of an update.... Turns out that the K frame had sheered off the two bolts on the passenger side so I had to hold up the engine with the crane and replace everything. I actually don't know if I'd have got the steering rack out without removing the K frame anyway. I fitted a VX Police Spec FE2 sway bar as well as brand new steering boots, tie rod ends, sway bar links and castor bushes (front and rear). Is currently running standard shocks but I have a set of FE2 ones to swap in after it's licensed which will have Ultra Lows installed.

However there was a slight setback... The strut tower has separated enough from the skirt that a wheel alignment and a quick weld job won't do it. I am going to have to take the car to a panel beaters and have it pulled and re-welded or have a new strut tower welded in. Sunroof has new glass in now too.

I drove the car 200km south to my home and took it for a quick lap through town whilst I had it on a permit. Next thing it started running like **** and I honestly thought I had a cracked head. Next day I did some investigating and a lead was off a plug completely. Must have knocked it while working on the car and it may have rattled off on the highway.