Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

1999 VS SIII S 5.0 Ute

whiskeytango

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SIII 5.0
Was electric windows SS or Olympic only?
I’m a bit late but yeah nice...
Yeah I dunno I've seen a few SIIIs without electric windows so I assume it was an option only. Good news is I got some statesman seats, door cards and switches I just need to go pull the wiring out next weekend and get it in.

whiskeytango

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SIII 5.0
I put some new struts, SLs and sway bar link rods in the front yesterday.
Handles like a dream in comparison just need some new shocks in the rear to complete it.
Today I got VR statesman seats and door cards but am awaiting on the wiring before I put the cards in.
I also fixed the hand brake, CAI problem, new air filter and gave it a scrub.

20190801_174658.jpg

The old springs were so sagged the same physical height raised it a good 4-5cms.
20190801_174802.jpg
Earlier today while sitting in some randoms paddock pulling the seats out of a wrecked stato a couple of camels came and said Gedday. Random!
20190803_113215.jpg
It sits pretty even now. Should settle a little but I'm real happy with the height overall. You can see the color difference in the front bar. Will paint it one day too much suspension work to do first.
New Spings.jpg

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Camels lol.

Doubt there are any other member's car pics with camels in them.

whiskeytango

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SIII 5.0
Put some VR statesman seats and trim in as well as carpeted the rear of the cabin.
Just have to reglue the top lip but looks pretty good for my first attempt at upholstery.
Also spent several hours figuring out how to be an auto electrician and install power windows with no loom.

20190811_142652.jpg

whiskeytango

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SIII 5.0
A couple of months ago I decided to fix everything suspension and driveline wise before I touch the engine. So I’ve recently spent a few bucks and a heap of time doing the following.

- New front DBA slotted rotors
- New pads all round
- Fixed A/C
- Installed electric windows
- Replaced F/R sway bar bushes and links
- Fixed some rust in the tailgate and around the seal
- Serviced including plugs
- Fixed a sump leak with gooo but will need a new gasket in the future unfortunately

Today I replaced the front control arm and radius rod with nolathane bushes and still waiting for new ball joints and rear shocks to show up tomorrow or Monday.

It was convenient while I was driving out of repco with the new bushes today as the steering rack went bang and went full armstrong. Pulled it out after the control arms and cleaned it up this arvo. Totally emptied the PS pump which was full last night. Over a liter of oil pissed out everywhere when I pulled the boots off. Assume some of the seals are a little stuffed.

20200103_134918.jpg

20200109_203658.jpg

Will see what a reco costs tomorrow.

Anyone rebuilt a rack themselves?

whiskeytango

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SIII 5.0
Seen as I’m waiting for a steering rack I had a big weekend while it’s on the stands.

I removed the headers, cleaned them up and gave them a coat of heat proof paint.

At the same time I resprayed the sway bar, radius rod, and threw a very light coat under the guards so it all looks a little cleaner side on. Then refitted the above with new nolathanes.

While I was doing this I realized the passenger side front brake caliper was pissing out fluid. So I cleaned it up and resealed it. Rear Forza pads also arrived so I fitted them and flushed all the lines.

I’m still waiting on tie rod ends and ball joints which should arrive tomorrow.

Just for the record, I haven’t done a lot of these things before and if not for the search function and decade’s worth of people constantly asking “stupid questions” the last few months working on this thing would have been a lot more difficult.

20200111_105707.jpg

0Q3A4643.jpg

20200112_125130.jpg

20200113_124443.jpg

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Argh should have titanium wrapped or better yet ceramic coated those extractors.

After secondaries 2.5' pipe to cats...2 vn-vs cats will do the job if you got good ones.

Check earths are good or even add some if you want at back of head & other at front

whiskeytango

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SIII 5.0
Argh should have titanium wrapped or better yet ceramic coated those extractors.

After secondaries 2.5' pipe to cats...2 vn-vs cats will do the job if you got good ones.

Check earths are good or even add some if you want at back of head & other at front

I was only doing a cheap touch up wasn't going all out. It looks better and should last as I did an ok prep job.

Already had the exhaust when I got it and without being biased it actually sounds really good for a stockie with no drone.

It has what I think are VS cats after the flange but yeah it's dual 2.25" into a 3" straight through resi at the rear. Wont change it until I go more power.

I'll check out the earths!

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
The dual 2 1/4 is ok for stockers...alot of dudes back in the day when dynoed noticed changing secondaries off extractors to cats picked up decent torque & little hp even on stockers...bigger gains again for mild to wild engines yet lost a tad if they went 3" unless it was a crazy high comp big banger