Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

1999 VS SIII S 5.0 Ute

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Cam gear showed up this morning and I got a little excited. It was a hot ordeal but I spent all day putting it back together.

Finally cranked it over before dinner but it wouldn't start. I stood there for a few mins scratching my head as to what I forgot to connect but couldn't find anything. I was thinking maybe I had it 180 out but was 98% sure it wasn't. It just cranked for a few seconds, fires once then continues cranking. It just wouldn't run for anymore than half a second.

I had it in diagnostic mode so I removed the pins and tried again with no success. Then I bridged them one last time and realized the fans weren't coming on and it wasn't flashing any codes at all. Not even 12.

This made me think it was possibly the memcal. So I had a fiddle to see if I didn't plug it in properly but that wasn't it. I then swapped it back to the Ace one and bobs your uncle it fired up!

I had it idling for around 10 mins just to make sure there were no leaks or funny noises. I gave it a few fight revs just to see what it sounded like and it threw DTC 44. O2 sensor is lean. I figured it's way to lean to drive around to shut it off and here we are.

I'm not an expert with memcals but is there a possibility that when they were burning it something went wrong and its blank or something?

I'm going to email Mace tomorrow but probably wont get anything sorted till next week.

Regardless I'm freaking happy it runs! I was stressing big time thinking I was going to start it and metal and **** would explode everywhere lol.
Also got the blood moving listing to it idle. It's not really lumpy but sounds way better than stock. Very happy even though I cant drive it. More of a relief than anything.
It seems, no matter if you’re in a shed out the back, or in a pro workshop building crazy cars, that moment of start up, it gets even the steadiest of hands a little anxious.

whiskeytango

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SIII 5.0
I have to buy a new key for my AED as it's on my old laptop and only licenced for that old broken lappy. However, it has all the engine data and it can be downloaded into a file you can read back inside the home. That's how I figured out I had issues with my brand new O2 sensor. If you have someone with the same software that knows about tunes you can use it to figure out where the AFR's need to be changed, thus you can have the tune tweaked. I can't remember if it shows you data on the spark timing or not though.
I think I've said before I need to get on PCM hacking. I'm also not stressed about the o2 sensor being rooted. I just replaced the cam with a larger ones so it makes sense it requires more fuel. One of the faults with 44 is lean injectors so If a tune doesn't sort it out I'll worry about the sensor. Cheers anyway.

It seems, no matter if you’re in a shed out the back, or in a pro workshop building crazy cars, that moment of start up, it gets even the steadiest of hands a little anxious.
A least it's not just me cause I looked back at my Garmin watches stress levels and it was through the roof lol.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Tune on memcal for cam probably corrupted on download.

Get on pcmhacking forum...do legwork for ALDLdroid for us old farts

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
I think I've said before I need to get on PCM hacking. I'm also not stressed about the o2 sensor being rooted. I just replaced the cam with a larger ones so it makes sense it requires more fuel. One of the faults with 44 is lean injectors so If a tune doesn't sort it out I'll worry about the sensor. Cheers anyway.

A least it's not just me cause I looked back at my Garmin watches stress levels and it was through the roof lol.
Was watching a HP Racing video and they got a bit anxious having built some bat **** crazy car. Motorsport harnesses and fluid lines. They all looked nervous at turn key.

whiskeytango

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SIII 5.0

I spent about a half hour reading the site this morning before I gave up. It looks like it's going to take quite a bit to get my head around and I don't think I have the time in my life right now for another mental obsession. You old retired guys should help a young busy guy out ;)

whiskeytango

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SIII 5.0
I have a funny story.

When I was buying paint for the front the other day I also had a handful of degreaser cans. I saw a wrinkle black can and thought to myself "may as well do the rocker covers while they're off!" I reshuffled my hands so I could pickup the can of wrinkle BLACK, reached down, picked it up, paid and went home.

After a 2 min prep on the covers I lined up for my first spray only to find a stream of bright orange come flying across the whole back side of the covers. I paused for a second and relived what happened. Apparently I had picked up the red instead of black as I had a handful of red capped degreaser cans in my hand and had a brain fart. Yes the brain fart went all the way through to removing the red lid on the spray can and applying it without questioning it.

I figured since I'd paid for and already sprayed it on the covers that I was all to committed so finished them off. I lol'd pretty loud when it happened.

One day I'll get them soda blasted and done professionally with the engine covers. For now this is what I'm living with haha.

20210123_155120.jpg

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
What are your thoughts on the strut brace, is it worth while or more wank value? I thought about one but read they do little.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Had one on my VP. Love it. Highly noticeable.
Strut brace also made one hell of a difference to my VZ.

New one has one from factory.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Is there supposed to be a cover strip on the front of the rad?

Reactions: Lex