Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

1999 VS SIII S 5.0 Ute

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
I've said it before that the 3.08 to 3.45 diff swap didn't feel much different in mine and also didn't change my qtr times. I'm not saying it isn't a good idea (maybe I should have gone 3.7’s too)
But thought I would share the best mod I did which was ditching the 2.25" y-pipe and getting 2.5" equal length centre section up to the first muffler. Huge difference for the money outlayed.
I went from 3.9’s back to 3.07 when I was rebuilding the 3.9 centre. Absolute night and day. Fuel economy was no different and driveability was better in all situations. I bet if you took the backwards step to 3.08 gears you’d notice the difference lol

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
3.45s made a fairly noticeable improvement on my V6 and at the time I only had 122rwkw.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
3.45s made a fairly noticeable improvement on my V6 and at the time I only had 122rwkw.
Yeah, noticeable. You spun out once doing a right turn and later dropped it in the ditch :p:p:p:p

Too soon? :eek:

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
3.7's are perfect for auto cruiser with bit of pep in the step...2
3.9-4.11's for manuals all day!!!!

For LS the shorter the better once learn not to worry about revving bejesus...they love it!!!

Still can't quite commit to going 3.45 into vp ute as still think it will be slow...not keen on 3.9's as may have to go 215/70/15 on rear to get revs where 3.7's would have it but them wo'nt look 100% stocker from outside grrr

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
Go 16s or 17s in these days when people with their weekenders vr / vs have 19s or 20s on = at best probably 1 in 1000 will look an go I wonder if this is stock or not and has a bit of go.
And for the majority of drivers they won't notice wheels and will just dismiss = it's at least a 30 year old Commodore.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Go 16s or 17s in these days when people with their weekenders vr / vs have 19s or 20s on = at best probably 1 in 1000 will look an go I wonder if this is stock or not and has a bit of go.
And for the majority of drivers they won't notice wheels and will just dismiss = it's at least a 30 year old Commodore.
Yeap that's my theory - driving my 27y/o commy with tidy paintwork and freshly (6years ago) powder coated 17" senator wheels.
Most people will dismiss it as a tidy old stock SS from the 90's

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Hated the way vp stockers looked back in the day...now think it's the reason I bought it & began to like it for said invisibility.

Also like full stock appearance with sleeper theme/style build....few sets of rears for $100 pair or less per doesn't hurt either.

People 100% still think it's v6 untill they see it step out..cobwebs & chasers life yo'

whiskeytango

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SIII 5.0
Well I'm back in society/reception for another 2 weeks and hit buy it now on some Dana Spicer 3.7s last night. They probably wont arrive until I'm away again but oh well. I'll order a bearing kit this week and hopefully mid next month I can get it all installed.

I'm considering just keeping the factory LSD and getting it tightened as I don't do skids/slide and really not keen on buying a trutrac at the moment.
Anyone know anything about the Torque Lock/Wavetrac knock offs and if they're worth it?

On the stock wheels note, I really dislike most factory 90s models wheels from Holden. I've owned a lot of E-Series Fords and I think Ford flogged Holden for style back in that era. I did want 16" walkys/clubsports but they're just too hard to find up here and expensive in decent condition so I settled for my current. I might downsize in the future for a change. Maybe some fat Welds ;)