Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

1999 VS SIII S 5.0 Ute

whiskeytango

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SIII 5.0
I’ve seen in-car dealer photos of new/near new cars where you can see dirt & dust…

Your’s photos are great and that’s one clean car :cool:
Yeah I hate it when you see dust in dealer shots. I did notice it but couldn't be bothered swabbing it out as I'd just driven 40kms with the windows down and no one was paying me for the photos. We'll just say I think it adds character not that I was lazy lol.

Very clean and tidy. I like!
Cheers mate!

whiskeytango

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SIII 5.0
I haven't really done anything to this recently except maybe service it and drive it heaps.

I've been landscaping the backyard over the past 3 months and have done over a dozen loads of sand, soil and timber in it. Today I did 4 loads of soil and mulch alone. Takes about 300kg and drives decently with that weight. While I was loading sleepers in the back in Bunnings the other week a guy asked me who did my respray. I laughed and told him to look closer lol.

I've been getting bored with it lately and need a change. Since I'm done in backyard and cant foresee anymore heavy loads in it, I'll be ordering some springs soon.

20220109_095622.jpg
20220109_095532.jpg

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Always feels good when you can use a ute for it's intended purpose.

How cool is it when have 100kgs or so right at back of tray then can put boot into it no wheelspin & damn thing feels faster haha

whiskeytango

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SIII 5.0
Always feels good when you can use a ute for it's intended purpose.

How cool is it when have 100kgs or so right at back of tray then can put boot into it no wheelspin & damn thing feels faster haha

Haha yeah ute life.

It has been incredibly handy. But its a double edge sword as I have a newborne now and cant do anything with the family in it. Like we have a family car but I cant just go for a cruise with the Mrs on the weekend anymore. I find myself just racking up ks driving to work and back just as an excuse to drive it aside from the landscaping loads. Its kind of a waste.
I've been seriously considering getting rid of it and getting a nice 90s sedan. More than likely a Ford sorry guys :( but we'll see.

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
Haha yeah ute life.

It has been incredibly handy. But its a double edge sword as I have a newborne now and cant do anything with the family in it. Like we have a family car but I cant just go for a cruise with the Mrs on the weekend anymore. I find myself just racking up ks driving to work and back just as an excuse to drive it aside from the landscaping loads. Its kind of a waste.
I've been seriously considering getting rid of it and getting a nice 90s sedan. More than likely a Ford sorry guys :( but we'll see.

They are incredibly handy but also restrictive.
Back in the 80s and early 90s I was spoilt ( my dad had Toyota Hi ace vans for his work ) I could borrow for !!!!
By the mid 90s he's working( permanent staff maintenance for a hospital ) , so vans gone !
I picked my CIG trans tig 150 up in my LH Torrie= hanging out the boot with the boot lid occy strapped down and I've gone getting a tonner and have had that. then commie utes since.

I've got the pol air bags fitted in the rear =make a huge difference when loaded.

Yeah also how times/awareness/safety have changed = ( 20s something can now have a heart attack)= read next paragraph .!!!!!!!

I remember as a kid fighting with 2 brothers and 2 sisters not to sit between mum and dad on the bench seat = loser got !! in dad's Toyota stout .
But to sit in the metal canopy covered tray ( complete with real sheet glass siding windows ) and finding a comfy spot to sit rest amongst all the plumbing tools !!!!!!
How many red flags and heart attacks would that bring up now?

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Haha yeah ute life.

Someone might need a Crewman. That was why we sold the VP ute.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
In hind sight, we wish we bought a Calais Wagon instead of the sedan. Would have been so much better it’s our young family. However kids weren’t on our radar for years back then.

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
Someone might need a Crewman. That was why we sold the VP ute.

Yes a crewman !!!
And it's not 4 rusty doors!!!
Even though I can't say too much as my daily is now 4 etc!!

whiskeytango

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SIII 5.0
Really hate the look of Crewman's. Would much prefer a Calais Wagon like mentioned.

In reality I will probably never buy another Holden unless its pre 90s and I win the lotto. Not because I hate them I really do appreciate them now. I'm just not as passionate about them as I am Fords. Both Brands are stupidly overpriced at the moment and neither of them are worth a fraction of what anyone is asking in my opinion.

I do enjoy owning this though so we'll see what the future brings. Sorry if I hit a soft spot with anyone @VS 5.0 :(

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
If you go 1990s Ford, go Tickford, grey tops are absolute junk. Although I think that of any 90s Ford. My 96 had so many problems it wasn't funny. I was glad to see it gone for $500 that I advertised it at. Body was near perfect but that engine and those head gaskets that kept blowing was enough for me to just move it within 2hrs of being listed. HGs was just one thing that went wrong with it.