Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

1999 VS SIII S 5.0 Ute

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Just realised no centre mufflers...not behd good sound.

My baby cam 5l sounded wicked 1 centre muffler outside but damn the drone inside ute cabin was horrid,had to add a muffler now too quiet lol

whiskeytango

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SIII 5.0
Just realised no centre mufflers...not behd good sound.

My baby cam 5l sounded wicked 1 centre muffler outside but damn the drone inside ute cabin was horrid,had to add a muffler now too quiet lol

Yeah I hear ya the drone between 14-1500rpm is unbearable on this.

I went to an exhaust joint last week to get a quote on adding some mufflers and rerouting a pipe to the drivers side to stop the drone. Also got a quote on a twin 2.5" system. Told him I'd make up my mind and go back next week but blew the money on reg yesterday lol.

Lucky it's no rush.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Twin 2.5" equal length merged to 1 centre muffler and 3" out the back through a single muffler for mine.
Sounds great, goes well, and nice and quiet at low rpm cruise.

whiskeytango

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SIII 5.0
Twin 2.5" equal length merged to 1 centre muffler and 3" out the back through a single muffler for mine.
Sounds great, goes well, and nice and quiet at low rpm cruise.

Yeah I've been tossing up between a merged twin into single but something about twins has always won me over.
It's still up for debate though as I have more time now. Would be much cheaper to go single also.

Does it drone at all?

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
I think it has more to do with cabin section behind seats & area under fuel tank cover being too thin & hollow/open.

Only saying that 'cos I've had similar exhausts on sedans & later model utes that were louder yet little to no drone & weird thing on vp ute it wasn't all that loud outside yet inside eveything was amplified almost like it was extractors only.

Now know why when got brother's vs maloo they used thicker wall pipes & straight-thru mufflers with slight offsets to tone it down alot...also think my vp being base model it lacked sound deadening & heat insulation which made it more unbearable inside

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
I also got sedan sparewheel T-bolt & nut to put spacesaver wheel in the tray.

Means that later on can have twin pipes come out centre of tailgate section & swap mufflers loud to quiet much easier & it looks cooler.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I had resi delete on the ute a few years ago. Being V6 it sounded ok outside from a distance but the bastard sounded awful inside and even worse with the window down.
I know pretty much nothing will make a V6 sound any good but I am considering buying a resi delete kit cat back next time I need one. If I buy Reback again I can use my tail section if it sounds shithouse, could even have something welded in to reduce drone and not have stock Redback resi.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Yeah I've been tossing up between a merged twin into single but something about twins has always won me over.
It's still up for debate though as I have more time now. Would be much cheaper to go single also.

Does it drone at all?
No drone.
Avoid y-pipes as the crazy unequal lengths and sharp pressed bends do nothing for power above mid rpms.
Best mod I ever did was the equal length V centre section.

whiskeytango

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SIII 5.0
I think it has more to do with cabin section behind seats & area under fuel tank cover being too thin & hollow/open.

Only saying that 'cos I've had similar exhausts on sedans & later model utes that were louder yet little to no drone & weird thing on vp ute it wasn't all that loud outside yet inside eveything was amplified almost like it was extractors only.

Now know why when got brother's vs maloo they used thicker wall pipes & straight-thru mufflers with slight offsets to tone it down alot...also think my vp being base model it lacked sound deadening & heat insulation which made it more unbearable inside

I also got sedan sparewheel T-bolt & nut to put spacesaver wheel in the tray.

Means that later on can have twin pipes come out centre of tailgate section & swap mufflers loud to quiet much easier & it looks cooler.

That's a good point. Come to think of it when I first got it there was no carpet on the rear wall and the 2 holes into tank area didn't have the covers on. The cabin noise, drone and fumes were beyond horrible.
Carpeting it improved the drone also so maybe some actual sound deadening will do a bit more. I might actually explore putting section at the bottom when I replace the carpet one day.

I had resi delete on the ute a few years ago. Being V6 it sounded ok outside from a distance but the bastard sounded awful inside and even worse with the window down.
I know pretty much nothing will make a V6 sound any good but I am considering buying a resi delete kit cat back next time I need one. If I buy Reback again I can use my tail section if it sounds shithouse, could even have something welded in to reduce drone and not have stock Redback resi.

Yeah I haven't heard much good about the redback systems in the past. Some people like them but others say to steer clear. Are they cheaper/thinner metal or is that just haters saying it?

No drone.
Avoid y-pipes as the crazy unequal lengths and sharp pressed bends do nothing for power above mid rpms.
Best mod I ever did was the equal length V centre section.

Yeah I just had a look some Y merges look exceptionally terrible for flow vs a nice sliced V merge. Must be cheaper or easier or something I dunno why you wouldn't want it done properly to start with.

A lot of food for thought though.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yeah I haven't heard much good about the Redback systems in the past. Some people like them but others say to steer clear. Are they cheaper/thinner metal or is that just haters saying it?

I have no complaints about the Redback. It's better than some on the market as it's a straight bolt on no issues or bad bends. It's ok for what it is. If I had a nice V8 I don't think I'd go Redback only because there are better options out there and some that get a nice note, but only because it's a V8. V6, little hope of getting a note regardless, so not worth spending big money.