Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

1999 VS SIII S 5.0 Ute

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
With the engine at TDC you will install the distributor with the rotor button pointing at the little knotch in the dissy housing (which the cap will sit down over). And from memory this knotch is at about 2 o'clock as you are lying over the motor looking at the back of it.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
With the engine at TDC you will install the distributor with the rotor button pointing at the little knotch in the dissy housing (which the cap will sit down over). And from memory this knotch is at about 2 o'clock as you are lying over the motor looking at the back of it.

I found out the hard way that most aftermarket distributors don't have the notch like the Bosch ones do, I got mine in and made a mark with a black texta for future reference.

whiskeytango

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SIII 5.0
I actually did the dizzy already last week for the first time and with the manifold on. It was so much easier than people made it out to be.
Just put it at TDC as mentioned on compression stroke, took a photo of the old rotor that was at about 2. The RAE one I just bought does not have a notch but the old bosch one does so I just marked it myself in the same spot like Someguy just said. Only took a couple of goes to get it straight. Wasn't hard to lean over and do it at all but would much easier with the manifold off. I'd still not recommend taking it off just to do it like so many people have said on this forum. Maybe I'm just younger and more flexible than some.

If timing chain isn't bad, can I just chuck a zip tie on it so it stays at the exact same links, chuck the new cam in and slide it back over? I used to do it this was way with my Ford 6s so it made sure it never slipped and dropped down the front case.

One other thing, I'm going to do the valve springs using the rope method cause I cbf buying a compressor and finding an adaptor. Any tips even though I've watched a few youtube vids and it looks fairly simple?

I'm about to head off to buy a spring compressor, balancer removal tool and finally a torque wrench cause I've always need one anyway.

Cheers for the posts.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Yep I don’t know why people struggle so much with the dizzy either lol. I just put an old pillow on the manifold and lay down over the engine.

As for the chain, you’ll need an adjustable timing set and you’ll need to degree the cam in. There’s no point spending the time, money and effort to fit a cam if you’re not going to have it timed as per the manufacturers specifications.

Youll also need a coated oil pump gear to suit the billet cam core. The factory cams are cast and don’t need a special gear. Otherwise your oil pump drive on the cam will die very quickly.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY

whiskeytango

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SIII 5.0
Yep I don’t know why people struggle so much with the dizzy either lol. I just put an old pillow on the manifold and lay down over the engine.

As for the chain, you’ll need an adjustable timing set and you’ll need to degree the cam in. There’s no point spending the time, money and effort to fit a cam if you’re not going to have it timed as per the manufacturers specifications.

Youll also need a coated oil pump gear to suit the billet cam core. The factory cams are cast and don’t need a special gear. Otherwise your oil pump drive on the cam will die very quickly.

Yeah she'll be right for now unless the chain is really sagged it can stay. I probably wont even do 5,000kms this year before I rebuild the bottom end so I'm not fussed.

I'm honestly doing it for the experience right now as I knew I had time off and wanted to attempt the top end before I dive straight into the bottom end. And who am I kidding, a better idle hopefully.

Learn from my paaaaaain.

Price does not = quality haha
That's not what you want and not what I want to hear when I plan on doing them tomorrow.. You poor bastard!
I bought a $44 twist type Toledo one, wish me luck lol.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Yeah she'll be right for now unless the chain is really sagged it can stay. I probably wont even do 5,000kms this year before I rebuild the bottom end so I'm not fussed.

I'm honestly doing it for the experience right now as I knew I had time off and wanted to attempt the top end before I dive straight into the bottom end. And who am I kidding, a better idle hopefully.

That's not what you want and not what I want to hear when I plan on doing them tomorrow.. You poor bastard!
I bought a $44 twist type Toledo one, wish me luck lol.
Best to spend the $150 on the gear to save yourself $600 on a cam though Imo

whiskeytango

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SIII 5.0
Best to spend the $150 on the gear to save yourself $600 on a cam though Imo
But then I have to wait another week until it shows up in the mail... How about I leave it to you to say you told me so when it all falls apart?

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
It's ok mate, when I did my first cam I left the 200,000km old chain in, it went fine, I only did it the second time as I had a longer window to get it done. I wouldn't stress over it too much unless it's got excessive slop.