Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

1999 VS SIII S 5.0 Ute

whiskeytango

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SIII 5.0
So Mace refunded me another $250 the other week which was good and the tune finally showed up today.
It works finally and idles way better. Still getting the DTC44 for the o2 sensor and making it surge a little under load up top.
I'm going to go pick up a new one and try rule that out tomorrow. If it's not that I have a feeling it might be a dodgy injector not sealing properly as I never re ringed them but I'll try the sensor like losh suggested ages ago. It is less than a few thousand kms old but could have got fouled up and died running a **** tune though but yeah we'll see anyway.
Still happy it finally showed up. Been dealing with this since Christmas.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Go with NGK from Repco for O2. I have found them to be better than Delphi and eBay cheapies. Also check the ground. VS had a common ground issue. I think it affected V8 and V6 but definitely V6.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Add extra earth to back of passenger head then check other earths all good.

Check for vacuum leaks with silicon spray or whatever does the trick to check o rings or just replace if 100% convinced need changing.

Then give her ol' italian tune up :)

whiskeytango

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SIII 5.0
They only had the 2 pin o2s in NGK so I had to go with the Bosch as mine is 4 pin.
Didn't change anything though as it still farts around when cold and pops up the error after 47 seconds over 70kmph. $120 wasted.

I cleaned up the earths but that changed nothing. Where do I run another earth from?

The problem all started when I reassembled it and the o rings were old and half shagged so I have a feeling they are the problem. Probably sucking air or something around them and leaning it out. I'm going to order a kit tomorrow and do them all.

I can still drive it for now and it goes so much better and sounds tough as giving it the boot. Apart from tearing my hair out with this fault and surge up the higher revs I'm really loving it.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Basically just adding extra earth off head to earth already there...1 earth wire with joins for tps/iac/o2 sensor all way through to ecu...sandpaper where earth bolts to head.

Fix o rings first if convinced they're the vacuum leaks.

It will get there eventually just keep messing around with it when feel like it & walk away when annoyed lol

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
just keep messing around with it when feel like it & walk away when annoyed lol

Sound advice right there, especially the second part.... ;)

whiskeytango

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SIII 5.0
Rebuilt the injectors this arvo for my first time. It was easy as I just used a tech screw to remove the filters lol. It fixed the surging up top so it revs out smooth as now but didn't stop the DTC44 error.

I turned to the above mentioned earths again and messed around cleaning them with no success. soI did a heap of searching on here and found a common problem with the VS 4 wire sensors stuffing up sending mixed signals or some crap.

I ended up just cutting the heater wire on the o2 sensor to rule it out and bobs your uncle it's running a charm. Too good to be honest I've been giving it a hiding for the last 20 mins in the rain and about to go back out to get dinner and fuel. The RE003s track so well in the wet it's even hard to slide around I'm really impressed.

I'm actually interested to see if this has solved my long battled fuel consumption issue. I'll have to take it easy on the right foot though cause I'm loving feeling that cam come in. Was questioning if the cam was worth the thousands I spent but it sounds heaps better and feels more torquie so I'm happy now.

If it stops raining next week I'm going to clean it right up and do another 360 walkaround as I'm pretty content with keeping it how it is for the next year or 2 while I priorities other things in life.. With the exception of some 3.7s I've been hovering over all week.

20210423_141116.jpg

20210423_141023.jpg