Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

1999 VT Wagon Handbrake

vsute97

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 Blown SSV Ute
Hi Folks just wondering if the VT handbrake is adjusted by using the locator under the plug on the rears? Recently I adjusted it right up on the lever and its done nothing so im hoping if I do the adjustment on the rears they will come back to life again? Cheers

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Adjusting at the handbrake shoes is the correct method.

vsute97

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 Blown SSV Ute
for some reason the small wheel located inside the rear wheel assembly will not move up or down with a screw driver is this is what is required to do or am I doing something wrong? cheers

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
for some reason the small wheel located inside the rear wheel assembly will not move up or down with a screw driver is this is what is required to do or am I doing something wrong? cheers

Make sure your handbrake is off, you're rear wheels are off the ground and the front wheels are chocked. I adjusted my VY recently and found that these adjuster wheels can be a little hard to turn at first, one side was slightly harder than the other anyway.

wrenchnut360

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt executive
i did mine today with a screwdriver via the rear wheels
was bi*ch to do but hand brake is
heaps better now well worth doing

moose man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII
The thread of the adjuster isn't greased at the factory, or if it is, they don't put much on.
If yours is stuck you need to take the handbrake shoe off, take the adjuster out and grease the thread.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
I find its easier to first up remove the rear caliper,only 2 bolts hold it on, and then remove the disc,which just slides off once the caliper is removed,so you can then access the handbrake components,and then free up and lubricate the adjusting wheel with a smear of high melting point grease on the adjusting wheel threads before re fitting the disc and then adjusting it.Ive had this problem with nearly every commodore I have adjusted the handbrake on.

MatsWife

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Wagon
Hi, I'm sorry to bust in your post but i have no idea how to use this site and I need help. I have a VT wagon and the left back wheel is heating up to an extreme heat and the smell is like a burning smell. I was wondering if someone could tell me how the handbrake setup works? Is it only on one back wheel or is it on both as I was thinking it may be a problem with the handbrake. I have only changed all the brake pads about 6 months ago. Any help would be really appreciated and again, sorry to bust in on your forum. Thanks Guys

graham7773

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim Wagon
Could be handbrake, could also be the piston in the caliper is seized. you wont know until you strip it down. The handbrake works on both rear wheels. If it is a seized piston, get both calipers reconditioned.

dirty hands

Reaction score
Members Ride
magna
ok thehand brake shoe is a one piece like a ba falcon

you take the rotor off adjust the handbrake shoe out to the inner diameter of the rotor
what i do is cut a plastic coat hanger the correct width just the inner widtth of the rotor drum for the handbrakes shoes
as a caliper guide adjust out to suit ..then refit rotor

then you adjust up the handbrake cable

now a siezed caliper is probably the cause of the over heating

is been in posts before