Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

19s to 20s

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
TPMS was mandated in the USA because of the 1990 Firestone tyre debarked that killed 100 people. It may have also been required because the firestone debarked highlighted that few people actually check their tyre pressures. By September 2007 all cars sold in the USA must have TPSM fitted. Not all TPMS used direct wheel pressure sensors, some use software and the existing speed, accelerometer and other sensors to calculate tyre pressure failure...

If you’re the sort of person that checks their tyre pressure each time you fill up, then such is a feature is an unnecessary cost (and a potential privacy concern for the tin foil hat wearers amongst us). If it was an selectable option for some few hundred dollars, I wouldn’t have ticked the box at purchase time. But it has its uses.

rossimo

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt s2 wagon
I'm quite happy with the TPMS in my redline ute. I picked up a screw in one of the rear tyres at ~800kms on the clock, low pressure warning went off as I pulled in the driveway, got out and couldn't really tell the difference between the two 35 profile tyres. Took it off and a quick trip to the local tyre shop for a $30 puncture repair as opposed to a ~$450 tyre if I didn't notice and kept driving on it. If I change wheels I'll have them fitted to the new ones.