Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

1st time rb rebuild??

jazzawithvg38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Exec
:)gday everyone, so iam in the process of rebuilding the rb30. i have got a set of forgies coming and block is getting machined up at the moment too. heard the rb bottom end is quite good so was wondering whever to get everything balanced or is it piontless really. the motor is a na rb but have brought a kit to convert to turbo however does not come with head or cam or anything like that. does anyone know if there are any differences in the heads between the two (rb30et vs rb30e)? and the cam ?? planning on switchin the head to a 25 later on. for the moment running the standard computer and was wondering what sort of cam grind to go for? one last thing, does anyone have any idea's on what sort of power the thing will make. 12psi (stanard turbo), good flowing intercooler, 3in exaust all the way, whateva size cam i can get away with on stanard computer etc? (by the way this is in a vg ute) any advise would be much appriated thanks cheers :)

Dose Pipe

Reaction score
At the time of this post, under your mothers bed w
Members Ride
It's quicker then your mothers VN
I wouldnt botherd doing a rebuild until the motor lets go, as they can last along time

anyway, rb30et and rb30e heads are exactly the same, the cam is slightly differnt but not a great deal (i think turbo has more lift?)

I'm not 100% sure but i think the pin height for rb30 pistons is no good for use with an rb25 head

power for a n/a converted motor on 12psi is about 170>180rwkw depending on condition of motor,box ect ect

as for cams i would ring JPC (jonsons performance centre) just search it on ebay as i cbf lol

think i coverd most of it

jazzawithvg38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Exec
thanks for that, i thought with the higer compression ratio's of the na and running the standard computer might have some detionation issues ha. cheers

hsv1987

Dose It
Reaction score
Members Ride
Spoold, slappd, calais 5ltr
If you want to spend money get a a rb25 conversion with rb 30 bottom end.. if your planning to get some power that could be a good way to go..

jazzawithvg38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Exec
yeah sounds like a good idea in the future ;-]

202injected

Quality Engine Builder
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Exec. 3.6
The RB series bottom end is one of the strongest you can get, i know of a GTR that is running 20psi into a standard, 150,000km old bottom no probs.

I wouldn't worry about the RB30 heads if you are going to fit an RB25 head, change it now while the block is getting machined, as you will have to pull it out and apart again to drill the hole for the second timing tensioner pulley that the twin cam heads use.

Also if you are converting from a N/A to a Turbo, make sure you have the series 2 block which has the bung to remove for the oil return, series 1 block can be drtilled and tapped but it is easier this way