Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2.0 or 3.0 nissan motors

dinodog

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5.0 SS
:whistling Hi i have been given two vl commodores with the nissan six motor but im not sure as to how to i tell if they are the 3.0lt or 2.0lt as they look the same. i dont think the vin plates are there as car has been used on a farm for a few years so no need for vin plates.is there another way to find out by looking at the motor itself or is there a plate somewhere else on the car.:thumbsup: thanks for the help.

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
as far as i know, the vl's only came out with the 3.0L, so unless theyve been swapped in, they should both be 3L

themantiss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Wagon
yeah nz had the rb20, i think the diff ratios were different, im not sure on this but if its still the factory ratio the rb20 should be 4.11, and the rb30s got threes. again, just speculating

VL Berlina 5speed

Apprentice Panel Pusher
Reaction score
Members Ride
Project VL Show car, VS Exec, VY Ute, YZ250F
there were only rb20 in new zealand no rb30 na, i beleve there was 3 from memery rb30et that were imported at time of production for special people,
the diff ratio for the rb20 would most likely be 4:11 and if its a rb30 motor 3:45,

just had a quick check on my motor and spot 67S on the side of my block that could mean something, so ill see if it dose

the plates are on the fire wall at the top right hand side if they are there these are the engine code
LB9 Engine - V8, 4.9 Litre PFI
LC6 Engine - L6, 2.0 Litre PFI
LFI Engine - L6, 3.0 Litre EFI
LV2 Engine - V8, 4.9 Litre High Compression
LW5 Engine - L6, 3.0 Litre EFI Turbocharged

Model: VL8VK19-125 (For instance)
Body No:
Trim: XXXX-25I
Paint: 1J052-D
Built:
Eng: LC6 Trans: MX7 Axle: GM3

dinodog

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5.0 SS
to vy-storm what!! are you the police or something, ok "how" to tell the diffence between the two motors !! is that ok sir.

vy_storm

just another moderator...
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.users.on.net
Members Ride
VE Calais V 6L
to vy-storm what!! are you the police or something, ok "how" to tell the diffence between the two motors !! is that ok sir.
Sorry mate, not the police just doing what was meant to be done.

I assumed you didn't read this post in the how to section?

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/showthread.php?t=6941

All posts in that section are moderated and do not show up straight away. If this post ends up being a clearly written instruction, then by all means it may be moved over there.

Sorry if it upset you in any way.

Last edited: