Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2.5" Catback silent after 2500revs EXHAUST

tdirago

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive
Got a 2.5"catback which was a lukey system with a rear hotdog installed last week. and have noticed that once the car passes 2500-3000revs it goes silent or all i can hear is the engine. It sounds sick at around 2000 but as it goes higher it goes silent.

Every muffler i spoke to said my system would be very loud when i put my foot down and it would go over the legal limit for sound.

Just to see if it was because i was in the car, i put the car iin nuetral and got a mate to rev it and after 3000revs all you can hear is engine :( this makes me very sad as that was the whole reason i got this mod.
I would appreciate some help :)

this is a reference:
http://forums.justcommodores.com.au...1997/76989-exhaust-silent-above-3000-rpm.html

Zarconia

Outrageous Fondler
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 R8 Maloo
Yep, pretty much all of em with a muffler will go silent after a certain amount of revs. Use to have an exhaust on my vr had no mufflers and just a hotdog on it. I can guarantee you it goes well over the legal sound limit if you take the muffler off and just a hotdog on it. Use to deafen me after 3000rpm.

But if you want to dice with the law and a canary ticket take the muffler/s off.

Can always try a straight through muffler. Will still go over the sound limit but itll decrease your chance of a canary unless they got a db tester on them in which case your screwed lol.

Epalmer

Commo-Nub.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina S1
I got a straight through lukey 2.25inch. Goes well over the sound limit. I love it. ;D

tdirago

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive

Zarconia

Outrageous Fondler
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 R8 Maloo
Yes that is a muffler, and yes they do but as i said you'd be pretty flat chapped to find a straight through muffler that does not go over the legal sound limit.

A hot dog is another word for a resonator. They are basically mufflers but smaller.

Your best bet is going over all this with an exhaust shop they'll be able to help you out and make something to suit your needs

tdirago

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive
thanks for advice.. the reason i post this on a forum and not go to a store is because you have only one aim.To help or give advice to someone.

They however have two motives, the other is to make money, and because im to noob at cars atm to know whats the best for me id try my luck here first haha if you get what i mean, but of course ill go first thing monday ;)

I dont mind going a tiny bit over the limit coz im a maddog

tdirago

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive
so i have a rear muffler like in that picture and my resonator/hotdog serves as the second?

and you're suggesting i go with a str8 pipe making it 1 muffler?

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
When you rev an ecotec engine past 3000rpm with nearly all exhaust systems you will hear the engine over the exhaust.