Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2.85 head

VH camping

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH wagon
Hi every one I want to know if I can put a 2.85L head on to a 3.3L blue motor. And how can you tell the differince between them.

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
if its a blue head then yeh if its not then you need to modify some of the water jackets and oil galleries.....

nizmovk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK wagon
any reason for the head job? I'd go yella terra if you're going to spend that much mucking around...

VH camping

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH wagon
Thanks for that. Its a blue head. The one I have now has got a crack in it and I need to replace it. The car is on LPG would that have cracked the head. I have been given a head off a 2.85L and was going to put it on my motor. The car is just a to get me from work and back home. I think a yellow tera head would be worth more than the car.

Tree cutter

Tree cutter
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais SuperchargedV6
The 173 head will raise the compression a fair bit because of the different combustion chamber shape. You should get away with it running on gas but on petrol it will ping a bit.

gd81

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SII Sv6 Manual
You'll also need to block of the air injection ports over the exhaust if it's from a VH.
As the VH 2.85's (173) had the air injection the same as used on the VK carbie 6's.