Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2 Amps 1 sub wiring

korn3172

Chaps
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore 2000 Olympic ED
Ok,
I have 2 pioneer GM-D8400M amps which are rated at:
300rms/600w @ 4ohms
600rms/1200w @ 2ohms

Im looking to wire both of the amps to a single sub so wiring each to a single coil.

Im guessing that if i do that, then i need dual 4 ohm subs. Which means each would wire at 1200w/600rms. For a total of 2400w/1200rms.

The subs im looking at are 15" or a 12" Alpine type X

1. Rockford Fosgate T215D4
4 Ohms x2
2000w/1000rms MAX

2. Alpine Type X SWX-1243D
4 Ohms x2
3000w/1000rms

3. Kicker CompVX CVX15
4 Ohms x2
2000w/1000rms MAX

4. Earthquake Subzero-15
4 Ohms x2
2500w/??? rms

They are the subs im thinking of.

But does anyone know if using the 2 amps in such a was is possible?

Has anyone done it before?

Let me know

Thanks

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
I don't think you can run a subwoofer in stereo like this. Only amps with a 'link' connection can be used to power one subwoofer, and even then you want a dual 2 ohm woofer to get the most power out of them.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
yeas as long as its duel voice coil sube it can be ran off 2 amps my last sub even had a wiring diagram of how to do it with it.

bezz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK
Yea it can be done... would be a lot of fun trying to get the gain settings right considering you're using two very different amps. Also, you'd want dual 2 ohm subs to present a 2 ohm load to each amp. Check out maybe a DD 3512 or Hifonics aswell.

korn3172

Chaps
Reaction score
Members Ride
Hmmmm. BTW the amps would b the same. Cant remember what the guy at the audio shop said, but i need something else to do it. And the load from my amp would b 4 ohms anyway so scrapping the idea.

New idea, 2x Alpine 15" 500rms subs :D

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Yeah theres no point in going with a 4 ohm DVC sub, as both amps will only put out 300wrms each (600 total). If you were to wire the voice coils together and ran it off just one amp, it would produce the same power, so it kinda defeats the purpose of using two amps to power a 4 ohm DVC sub.

Ideally you want a 2 ohm DVC sub or 2 x 4ohm DVC subs. So you can provide each amp with a 2 ohm resistance which will give you your 1200wrms.

Also gotta consider the room the box will take up. A box for a single 12" subwoofer will be 1.5 (sealed) to 3 (ported) cubic foot, whereas a box for 2 15" subwoofer will need to be 3 (sealed) to 5 (ported) cubic foot. Theres a HUGE difference in between the two options, not even taking into consideration the cost of 2 15s over a single 12/15.

Yes, i wont disagree that the 2 15s will "probably" play louder and lower (depending on box). But theres always the fun of giving it a demo to some people or mates, letting them guess whats in the boot and the shock on their faces when its only a single 12/15and they guess 2 12s or 2 15s ;)

In my opinion, go with a single 12 or 15" version, dual 2 ohm voice coils in a properly tuned ported box. With that amount of power it'll blow most people away with dual 12s or 15s.

Edit: bezz, i think hes using two GM-D8400M amps.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Oh well guess I was wrong. I've been told that unless the settings are dead on matched it could hurt the sub. Doesn't bother me I've got some amps that can be linked, tuning made easy :p.

Just as I was typing this I thought 'how funny would the sub look if you had one amp with the phase reversed'?

Mike S

Car Audio Pro
Reaction score
I've seen this done using two crossfire 1000w D class amps, remember them, and a dual coil Kicker 12" sub. It was in a sealed box of medium size and was sealed so tight he reckons you could stand on the cone although I never saw him do it. Sounded awsome, probably the biggest bang I've ever heard from a single 12.
If I was you Korn I'd do it, I reckon it'll work great. Just keep in mind that you'll need to put identical signals into each coil so if your using stereo outputs bridged then you need to put a stereo signal into each amp so you get a mono output into each coil.
It looks like you'll need a DVC x 2ohm speaker if you plan on using the pioneer amps.

korn3172

Chaps
Reaction score
Members Ride
Oh well guess I was wrong. I've been told that unless the settings are dead on matched it could hurt the sub. Doesn't bother me I've got some amps that can be linked, tuning made easy :p.

Just as I was typing this I thought 'how funny would the sub look if you had one amp with the phase reversed'?

Yeah that makes it easy for you,
the problem with mine is that i need a "Sync" or something. There is a techincal term for it. Basically sets the gains the same